Cheap "commercial" fingernail jig!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
I`ve been wondering how to make a fingernail jig for while. I planned to make the one that Chas has on his web site but not had the materials or the time at the moment.
Our local hardware store has a decent tools dept and I noticed the Sorby jig on sale for £55 and for a moment thought about getting one went into the cheapo section and noticed one of those drill jigs on sale for the princely sum of £5.99 and the more I looked at it did it seem to tick the boxes for a fingernail jig so bought one to try out at home.
Got it out the box
2024001965_bd54e50a88_m.jpg

Found the drill bit tension arm fouled the chisel handle so cut it off, here is the jig with 1/2" chisel.
2024001973_2cbbf0db8a_m.jpg

It worked perfectly and seems to be fine for chisels upto 5/8" maybe even 3/4"
here with the 10mm chisel
2024001995_ac0b660ede_m.jpg

Just trying it out pivoting in a hollow in a block of wood for now.
2024002023_d882e06052_m.jpg

I have often noticed these jigs but never thought of using them for chisels and the only alteration was chopping off the drill arm so all in all a very useful trip to the shop.
Cheers
Steve

edit: pics deleted, Steve's sorted.

I think Graham (oldsoke) uses similar.

Thanks for that Chas.
How do I get the actual pics on view instead of the links when posting please?.
Steve

gasmansteve":307g6w9f said:
Thanks for that Chas.
How do I get the actual pics on view instead of the links when posting please?.
Steve

Code:
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2009/2024001965_bd54e50a88_m.jpg[/img]

gasmansteve":3k8po2m1 said:
So just put (img) in front of the url ?
Steve
Three ways.

Either click the Img tag along the top of the edit window before pasting your url, then when you move down a line you will be prompted to click the Img* tag.

Or paste your Url, highlite it, and click the Img tag

Or just type the Img tags as shown in the above code example

I have a jig to make over my web site. I built it years ago to see if I preferred using jigs to free hand grinding with the intention of getting a commercial one if the cobbled up version convinced me. It works so well I have kept using it for about seven years. My cost? About C$2.50. I think that works out to about a pound. Sharpening jig

Good morning Darell and welcome to the forum. Am I right in assuming that you are the Darrell Feltmate of 'Around the Woods' Fame?

Pete

Bodrighy":101arkj9 said:
Good morning Darell and welcome to the forum. Am I right in assuming that you are the Darrell Feltmate of 'Around the Woods' Fame?

Pete

'tis I, although fame seems a strong word. This looks like an active forum. Very nice.

Welcome Darrell.
You may have noticed in other posts that a few of us seem to be having problems accessing your `around the woods` site. I had some suggestions about altering the webcache and port settings in my Firefox browser which worked for a while but lost it again. Don`t know whats floating around your web site but I don`t have problems with any other site :wink: maybe an ISP thing but good to have you on board anyway.
Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back