Charnwood w619 - are there any reviews yet?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post, and probably the beginning of a landslide of questions over the coming months (apologies in advance). In time I’ll hopefully be able to return the favour to someone. :lol:
So, to begin...
I’m setting up a long thin workshop (5mx2m) with doors at each end so all the benches and tools need to run down one side and be pulled out when in use.
First on my list is a table saw and I’ve looked at so many reviews and gone round in circles so many times I’m on the verge of just buying the Bosch GTS10XC and moving on. However, I know that will be a compromise as I don’t need that level of portability.

I'd like 10" blade, a decent slider carriage and a big enough table to rip 24". Price isnt an issue.

HOWEVER, when stored up against the wall the saw table can only be 700mm deep in order to prevent it from encroaching on the walkway between the 2 doors at either end.

Ideally I’d like the SIP 01574 with its 10” blade but its too big, unless I removed the extension tables and slider carriage every time it wasn’t in use. No idea how painful that would be but suspect it would be hellish.
Same applies to the Axminster AW10BSB2 and Record Power TS200C, the later of which seems to be getting bad reviews recently anyway.
So now dropping to a smaller setup and 8” blade we get the Kity 419 and Axminster TS200, but again with the extension tables and carriage fitted they are too wide, and removal after each use will be a pain. Also issues over build quality nowadays with both.
This brings me to the last 2 offerings in my head – the Scheppach TS2010 and Charnwood w619. Both of these have removable extensions and thus can be stored ok. The Scheppach, however is getting very bad reviews (very hard to set up, build quality issues, and collects dust like its gold, which requires turning the unit upside down to clean). This then just leaves the Charnwood. I know someone on here (Rob, I think) has purchased the w619’s big brother (the w650) but to date there are no reviews on this baby model anywhere on the internet. Previous Charnwood products doent seem to be that highly regarded. There is a nice video made by Charnwood, but that’s it.
So, any input would be greatly appreciated before the plasticy Bosch arrives on my doorstep.
:mrgreen:

The Bear":2f62qc3y said:
Rob

Where did you get the replacement crown guard?

Mark
It's off a Bosch GTS10, but similar sort of guards are available with a little bit of Googleisationing...bear in mind I also had to make a new riving knife to fit it - Rob

Hi Rob - unless I'm missing something there is quite a lot of difference betweenthe w619 and the w650 you have. I can see you love your 650 :lol:

The 619 has got a smaller saw, an inferior fence (single screw thread to lock and no micro adjustment), and a very different rail for the fence to lock onto (its not a fixed steel bar like the 650. It slides on and off the main table with the extension table as per their video, which raises the question of its accuracy and rigidity)

The nearest stockist is 200 miles away so having a play will be tough.....

A month has gone by so I thought I'd ping this topic to the top as no one on the planet seems to have any reviews of the Charnwood w619. Surely there must be someone out there with one who can provide some feedback?

Note: I am not referring to its big brother the w650. There is a lot of difference between the 2.

JimD,

maybe a better approach would be to ask WHY do you NEED a table saw.

You have a small workshop by the sounds of it and a TS will take up lots of room.
You might choose to use a bandsaw instead.
You can rip on it
You can cut curves
You can cross cut
You can cut dovetails
You can ??????

I often theink that small TS are just not worth it as often there is a compromise on stability, accuracy, reliability whereas the bandsaw is a smaller footprint, safer, can easily be made mobile, reliable, easy to use and easy to set-up. Combine with some accurate handwork and your home and dry.

Al

beech1948":1ykykj2u said:
JimD,

maybe a better approach would be to ask WHY do you NEED a table saw.
The problem is that bandsaw blades wear out mighty quickly with prolonged use...a decent TCT saw blade on a table saw will last a lot longer with the same amount of usage. In an ideal world of course, you actually need both machines - Rob

Perhaps it's just me but in my mind tablesaws and bandsaws are optimised for different tasks. Given what I intend to do I think a table saw would be a better bet. You can rip and cross cut on a bandsaw but not sure it's the best technique. I'm sure this topic has been discussed 1,000 times already and so dont want to open that can of worms again. :)

I'm tempted to buy the w619 just so I can write a review.

This may sound odd but the other saw on the short list is the Bosch GTS 10XC. It'll be noisy and perhaps crude but has a small footprint, a slide carriage, and the ability to extend to a decent size when in use, much like the w619. But the lure of a "proper saw" and a cast iron table is currently winning....

Hi Jim D

Did you buy the Charnwood W619? I am interested in it for similar reasons of small size but Cast iron top. I would be interested if you went ahead and what the outcome was?

Pete

No, I couldn't make my mind up so put my decision on hold. That said I need to buy one now so I'm looking again.
I can't believe there is no such thing as a small accurate table saw. Seems to be a hole in the market. Why can't Axmister or someone make a small but high quality saw. The TS 200 is now classed as a hobby saw. I saw a demo one today and the fence was out by 2mm from one end to the other.

If anyone has any ideas please shout.....

Right, I've just bought the W619.

I'll do a full review of the setup and my early findings (with photos) once delivered. Watch this space.....

Yes, it's like those two. But is half the price of the kity and unlike the axi "hobby horse" has wheels and a removable extension table so it doesn't take up too much room when not in use.

Also at 90kg all in its a bit more sturdy than those 2

Delivery due tomorrow....

I often wished i had either returned my ts200 and got a bandsaw instead. Or stumped up for the charnwood

Are you thinking of the w619's big brother the w650. The w619 i got is only £427 so the same as the Axi as200 now they've put their prices up.

Hi Jim,

Just wondering if you had any views on this saw now you've had it a little while.
I am looking for a new saw and this looks pretty good on paper - for the price.

Mark.

Hey

Just thought that I would put a little something up about the W619 as I had been looking for reviews but couldn't really find anything useful.

My recommendation is go for it - I bought it last week and have been playing with it for the past few days and love it.

I had been emailing Terry at Poolewood for a few days before ordering with random questions about the saw and about when it could delivered as I was in Portugal at the time on holiday. It arrived the day I wanted and the delivery driver was fantastic in putting it where I wanted it.

Setup was straight forward following the instructions which are clear with glossy photos. The blade was almost in perfect alignment but just wanted a touch of fine tuning (followed the wood whisperer setup for the blade), then minor fine alignment for the fence. The sliding carriage was was in perfect alignment!

The saw is quiet on startup. It stable with no vibration even on the universal wheelbase (just in case I needed to move it in the future). The sliding table is awesome! Dust collection is good.

I need to make a zero clearance insert for it.

There are clear areas that justifies the cost - plastic wheels for the blade height and angle. 8 inch blade (not a concern for me at the moment).

I had a Makita mlt 100 previously and liked it - but I love this! The Makita was £350. This was £450 - I wish I had spent the extra first time around.

Also now turning the pallet it was delivered on into a raised feeding station for the dog:)

Back