Charnwood W582 Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPEC

Established Member
Reaction score
Charnwood W582 Planer Thicknesser. In short, is it any good?
There are loads of them on ebay for £370 + £15 delivery
Would ideally like a scheppach but need one pretty quickly for upcoming job.
I don't want to throw my hard earned cash at a piece of junk though!

Julian

Julian,

Here we are. http://www.george-higgins.co.uk/group_id-52/area-4.html £528.73 including the old VAT.

Is it any good? Well i think you will find that it is one of the many Electra Beckum clones, some of them have the full stand, and others just the legs. With this in mind and if they are using the same parts as the EB, then yes it is very good.

If you do buy one, i am sure you will have many happy years using it.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks mike

I am waiting for reply from seller to check price includes the vat.
Has 2 year guarantee so fingers crossed.

Cheers, Julian

No haven't got one yet. I will soon though, the job i need it for is looming.
I will let you know how it performs.

Cheers
Julian

It's arrived!! :lol:
Bought it Wednsday and it arrived this morning (thursday).
I have only just set it up and run a test piece through, but seems ok.
I think it will need a bit of tweeking with the fence and planer tables but so far so good. Will have a proper play with it tomorrow.

Julian

If it's the one I have seen in the Charnwood warehouse, then it is effectively the same as the Perform, SIP and a host of other Chinese copies of the Elektra.

I have the SIP and I think you will be very pleased with your new toy :wink:

Thanks Tony,

I have to admit the fence arrangement is a bit poo, the swivelling bracket that holds it in it's 'set' position has so much paint on it that it barely moves without a fair bit of force, hopefully this will wear in!
Also the fence itself is slightly cupped so i can get it nice and square only if the timber is taller than the fence! :x
Those are my only gripes though thicknesser is spot on straight out of the box, (have only run short pieces through) and it does give a nice finish. :lol:

Is it worth returning the ally bit of the fence or is it common on 'chinese copies' for them to be a bit dodgy?
I could pack it with a piece of beech offcut (all my other fences have this) but i will lose planing width.

Any advice appreciated

Cheers
Julian

Back