Changing the wheel on a Nutool bench grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherw

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to change one of the wheels on my father's Nutool bench grinder. He bought a white wheel with the machine about 15 years ago and never bothered to put it on. I've taken off the outside part of the guard, the nut on the outside, and I've prised off the wide washer inside the nut with some difficulty - it seemed to be stuck to the paper label. But the wheel hasn't moved at all, it's as firm as if I hadn't done anything. How do I get it off?

I would try and loosen the wheel before beating or levering lumps out of it.
The wheel centre is either lead, or plastic, depending on age and as MM said it's probably corroded.
Make up a pair of strap wrenches from any belting you hopefully have and slip over the wheels and work with the thread
it should undo fairly easy once the bond is broken. HTH Regards Rodders

I´m sure I replied to this a couple of days ago. Seems to have disappeared.

Anyway Blackrodd´s solution worked, after trying a bit of gentle prising, which didn't. Maybe too gentle?

I did what I needed to do with the white wheel, but it´s very out of balance - it oscillates from side to side. I tried slackening it off and retightening, but it just went back to the same position. I´ve never had this problem before, the coarse grey wheel I removed was balanced. How do you balance a wheel?

heatherw":20bm9k68 said:
I did what I needed to do with the white wheel, but it´s very out of balance - it oscillates from side to side. I tried slackening it off and retightening, but it just went back to the same position. I´ve never had this problem before, the coarse grey wheel I removed was balanced. How do you balance a wheel?

This old post of any interest Have a look at your clamping flanges, are they pressed steel by any chance?

Get the wheel running as true as possible and then slowly dress the periphery, side face and possibly the inner wheel recess.

You really need a pair of matched wheels for good balance on a twin wheel grinder. The white wheel will be heavier than the standard grey one.

I Presume you are fitting a new wheel? (Silly question, I know, but) Is the size of the centre of the new wheel the same as the shaft?
Is the new wheel centre itself not damaged some how. Try clearing the centre out, if it is lead then it will need a careful scrape so as to make the centre too big. HTH
Regards Rodders

Back