Changing table saw blade lost spanner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteHB

Established Member
Reaction score
In my move to France the thin 23mm open ended spanner has gone missing anyone know where I can buy one short of buying a set off e bay I just need a cheap pressed steel one to fit the bush between blade and the arbour nut, it needs to be about 2mm thick. I have tried the manufacturer but no response, Fox!

PeteHB":3cbsnzcq said:
In my move to France the thin 23mm open ended spanner has gone missing anyone know where I can buy one short of buying a set off e bay I just need a cheap pressed steel one to fit the bush between blade and the arbour nut, it needs to be about 2mm thick. I have tried the manufacturer but no response, Fox!

Buy a single standard spanner and grind it flat to fit. I did that for an angle grinder. Just be careful not to overheat and draw the temper.

Bob

is the blade that tight?
emergency you could just use a piece of ply held against blade
make sure machine is unplugged
a pair of gloves on the blade may be enough
I removed my wadkin blade by hand as never had an arbour locking spanner

Steve

another way is to clamp the blade with a g clamp or something (needs to have nice flat faces or use cauls) then just use a spanner to tighten or loosen the nut, whichever you need.
My old startrite doesn't appear to have any other way to secure the blade so I use a small vice to clamp the blade on mine when I have to change the blades over. Its a bit of a faff and I certainly envy you guys who just have to use a couple of spanners or even better a spindle lock and one spanner.
Other than that its a good old saw

Adam, Is there not a hole in the table to the LHS of the saw blade...?? My Startrite has the hole as do all the other old Startrites Ive looked at.
You just drop a round bar in the hole and it locks the arbor....

Tim.

Really!! I could kick the user manual if thats the case as it just says 'clamp the blade'' in the manual, i read it so many times as I couldn't find a way to lock the spindle.
Guess what I'll be checking out this afternoon lol
My saw is a TA300PS in case you know the model?

Well, Ive just looked at a couple of pictures of a saw the same as yours for sale on Ebay and it looks as though there are 2 holes in the table top on that one,......possibly one for the main saw blade arbor and the other for the scribing blade arbor...????

Edit. My old Startrite is a 145 model, but it looks as though all the Startrite models have the hole in the top.

Thanks so much Tim, you will save me hours of hassle.
Currently I hate having to change the blades (particularly the scribing blade) as its such a pest with the way I've been doing it.
Best christmas gift I've had so far this tip is
I checked out your website by the way, looks really nice, if i'm ever up in colchester I'd love to pop in and say hello

Adam9453":2mddkqdt said:
Thanks so much Tim, you will save me hours of hassle.
Currently I hate having to change the blades (particularly the scribing blade) as its such a pest with the way I've been doing it.
Best christmas gift I've had so far this tip is
I checked out your website by the way, looks really nice, if i'm ever up in colchester I'd love to pop in and say hello

Glad I could help!

You would be more than welcome to pop in for a chat & a cup of tea Adam, just give me a call first as I'm not always there!

Have a good Xmas!

Tim.

Thanks Tim, you too.
I just checked out that one for sale on ebay, its been beautifully restored by the looks of it. I got mine for a steal compared to the price he's asking.
I can see from the pictures how those holes in the top line up with the arbour pulleys as you say.
Really can't believe they don't tell you that in the manual, I feel like such a wally for not having asked on here before lol
I think the wife likes a spa in colchester so perhaps i'll treat her to a spa trip and come visit one day.
Merry christmas, i'm off to the workshop to change the blades over for fun :D

Latest posts

Back