Changing lever cap thread in frog on Stanley no.6

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Stanely no.6 and the current lever cap screw barely holds the lever cap. The diameter of the screw head is too small and sometimes it just goes through the lever cap hole.

If I ordered an original 9/32 - 24 screw from E-bay, I would need to pay more than 40 Eur for a single screw (with shipping to Slovakia and import costs), which would border with economic stupidity. I cannot get such thread nearby. Do you think that I can use a tap to create an M8 thread and use some nice metric screw instead? Are there any precautions when drilling into the frog? The diameter of the current thread is close to 7mm. pilot hole for M8 is 6,8 mm. Do you think I can use tap set directly or should I drill 7mm hole into the current imperial thread?

Thank you.

Hello,

I have a Stanely no.6 and the current lever cap screw barely holds the lever cap. The diameter of the screw head is too small and sometimes it just goes through the lever cap hole.

If I ordered an original 9/32 - 24 screw from E-bay, I would need to pay more than 40 Eur for a single screw (with shipping to Slovakia and import costs), which would border with economic stupidity. I cannot get such thread nearby. Do you think that I can use a tap to create an M8 thread and use some nice metric screw instead? Are there any precautions when drilling into the frog? The diameter of the current thread is close to 7mm. pilot hole for M8 is 6,8 mm. Do you think I can use tap set directly or should I drill 7mm hole into the current imperial thread?

Thank you.
Cheap fix for that is a washer.

Although would be a bit of a pain come sharpening time.

Functionally yes, but it wood look bad aesthetically.
A plane is not supposed to be looked at "aesthetically" it's just a tool, though you might have to explain that to some people! :rolleyes:
A washer might slightly impress people who look at planes "practically", if they even noticed it.
Sooner or later the right screw will turn up one way or another.

These are things you do all the time. If I’m at work and something breaks, I’m going to try and temporary repair that tool by whatever safe means so it’s back earning its keep.

The disapproval of Internet forum tool collectors isn’t enough of an excuse to stop using it till it’s back to an aesthetically pleasing state.

Last edited:

Do it nicely and it would blend in. Make a washer that is a tight fit on the shank of the screw. JB Weld it to the underside of the screw head (that means you do not within reason need to worry about the flatness of either item). Once the JBW is set, sand or file the washer so it matches the curved/dome profile of the screw head. You would barely see the line where the two parts meet.

As an alternative to JBW, if you know a friendly welder, get them to add some metal to the screw head and then reshape to taste.

Do it nicely and it would blend in. Make a washer that is a tight fit on the shank of the screw. JB Weld it to the underside of the screw head (that means you do not within reason need to worry about the flatness of either item). Once the JBW is set, sand or file the washer so it matches the curved/dome profile of the screw head. You would barely see the line where the two parts meet.

As an alternative to JBW, if you know a friendly welder, get them to add some metal to the screw head and then reshape to taste.
That is a good idea too. But I will not weld it, as I do not have a welding machine. But I still can glue it with some suitable glue for metals.

Edit: Sorry, I have looked up, that JBW is the kind of metal glue, I was talking about.

A plane is not supposed to be looked at "aesthetically" it's just a tool, though you might have to explain that to some people! :rolleyes:
A washer might slightly impress people who look at planes "practically", if they even noticed it.
Sooner or later the right screw will turn up one way or another.
Yes, ultimately, you are right. But some people just want to have nice cars, homes, wifes, planes,.etc .... if they can. It is how some of us are wired.

Is the head worn or the hole in the lever cap ?
Off the top of my head I think the lever cap hole is slightly countersunk to stop it drifting up and down the cutter assembly ?
Are planes of a similar nature not that easily available in Slovakia?
Cheers, Andy

Is the head worn or the hole in the lever cap ?
Off the top of my head I think the lever cap hole is slightly countersunk to stop it drifting up and down the cutter assembly ?
Are planes of a similar nature not that easily available in Slovakia?
Cheers, Andy
I think that the head is worn, and I also cleaned it with sandpaper, by attaching it to the cordless drill, so I took some microns off when I bought the plane. Also, the hole in the lever cap can be worn too. The plane is over 110 years old, so wear is probable.

I have seen some pieces in some street market here in Slovakia, where people come to sell old antique stuff, but the condition of those planes was comparable to the worst you can find on Ebay.

Latest posts

Back