Changing dust extraction location on bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It all seems a bit much really as the most of the dust is actually taken away using the normal extractor, thou i guess if you have time on your hands then this is fine ...

Peter Sefton":1ajncne9 said:
Hi a couple of photos of my modifications, I should say I never had an issue with dust from the Bandsaw when it was connected to an old NU tool extractor that you may see in the background. Only when I had too move machines around to fit in the new Felder A741 Surface planer. I then put the Numatic on the Bandsaw and it’s just not really man enough.
I need to use a low level (short) extractor as it’s a bit in the middle of the machine shop and too involved to be piped up to a bigger system.
The new 100mm extraction outlet is off a felder Bandsaw and is fine but I have made a plywood slope inside the bandsaw body to assist the extractor. The Numatic just passes the LEV test but only just so if anybody has any suggestions for a better small extractor that is not too tall max 900mm please say so.
Cheers Peter
Hi

I'm planning make a similar modification to my smaller band saw using 50mm ducting.

This would involve cutting out a small portion of the bandsaw body just below the lower guide. Approximately the section marked in marker pen in the attached photos.

Should I be concerned about any impact of structural integrity on the bandsaw frame from removing this small piece of metal?

I was planning on protecting the lower wheel with a plastic bag and insulating tape so it doesn't get covered in swarf From The Cutting. The other option would be removing the circlip that holds the wheel in place and pulling it off the spindle but I thought that might be more likely to affect the setup when I try and re fit it.

If I do go ahead with this do any of you have any suggestions about how to remove the waste piece of metal. I was thinking of making a series of relief cuts vertically and then finishing it off with a combination of jigsaw hacksaw and file.

Also I'm planning to connect a 45 degree elbow directly to the connector shown in the photograph.

P.s I'm enjoying your bandsaw setup video Peter

Thanks

Ewan
bc7959cb9cb128b8d31552c67c3a33e5.jpg
06f123563e4ef32f66dc7f6233bef627.jpg
41bcd5faa3752cf8a64a2cd6d9e9a9fd.jpg
0f8bd4691b31351f955374e8f0df0b9d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back