chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugo35

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all have got to make a chair, well two of them . not sure what it is called, its like a high chair with queen ann style front legs the top has a curved back curling around to form arms , back and seat are upolstered. been told they were bought in the south of france.
this is a very ambitious project for me. :)

any advice will be very much appreciated

will try to post a picture if i can get enough time to work out how to do it

am thinking of using the miller dowell system has anyone used these ?
its a painted finish so am not worried about the dowels showing

lugo35":k9kw1lrc said:
hi all have got to make a chair, well two of them . not sure what it is called, its like a high chair with queen ann style front legs the top has a curved back curling around to form arms , back and seat are upolstered. been told they were bought in the south of france.
this is a very ambitious project for me. :)

any advice will be very much appreciated

will try to post a picture if i can get enough time to work out how to do it

its a painted finish so am not worried about the dowels showing

Sound much like a Captains chair!

Captains_Chair_small.jpg

Hi

Full size templates of the main components will help a great deal, both front and rear elevation would be good, especially if there are many compound angles for the joints. Never used miller dowels before so I can't comment on that.

Cheers

Liam

lugo35":296p6kn1 said:

Yes, use a hand held electric drill. (not a drill press - I had no luck with these. Despite being a bit wary of using a handheld drill - it worked far better). Its possible worth putting a couple of screws in, drilling all the holes, gluing, then wait to dry then remove screws, drill those holes and then glue the dowels in. Does that make sense? Basically dry assemble with screws in the minimum of locations. Miller dowel everything else, then after its dry, miller the screw holes.

Try a search for "miller dowel" and click the "search all terms" button next to it on the forum search. You'll see a few threads.

Adam

thanks for that
have started the job and templated some of the components. will make a front and side elevation template will help sizing everything.
will defo use the screw it dry method never thought of that. will try to post pic if i can

hi all now sorted posting pics not posh only a link so will take some pics of the chairs in morning they are half made at mo got difficult bit to do now the curved sweeping backs????

Don't forget - Miller Dowels come in various sizes and multiple woods now, so your choice is pretty wide. They work and they worl well. With differing woods, you can almost make it a design feature!

Latest posts

Back