Chair back rest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colarris

Established Member
Reaction score
Just working on my first ever chair and I have to say I've forgotten a fair few points from my wood working lesson a few years back.
Im working on the uprights of the back rest back and just cut my first tenon but Im just wondering if the tenons are too long? I remember my teacher telling me they have to be about 2/3's of the width of the wood it was being slotted in to but the tenon is quite thin, just over 5mm, and Im wondering whether it might snap. Should I cut it shorter so it will be stronger? I can post images if that helps?

A photo or some form of illustration would definitely help. You're probably right with the two-thirds ruling - unless, perhaps, your rails are 100mm wide or something?!? :wink: Generally speaking, you would also aim to make your tenon thickness equal to one-third of the rail thickness; depending on the closest chisel size available. So, 5mm may be about right, depending on the thickness of your timber.

Thanks for the reply, here's the images.

wood1.jpg

wood2.jpg

Do they necessarily have to be that long and/or is the width and length an issue? [/img]

Thickness looks fine so, I don't think it's likely to snap under load. :)

You could trim a few millimetres off the width (both sides) so that if the accidentally over cut the mortise or the timber shrinks slightly, the mortise cannot be seen. :wink:

Length-wise, I think 20mm would be fine, or 25mm at most, as it's only a stub tenon (ie. not going all the way through the rail).

OPJ":32wz2wtq said:
Thickness looks fine so, I don't think it's likely to snap under load. :)

You could trim a few millimetres off the width (both sides) so that if the accidentally over cut the mortise or the timber shrinks slightly, the mortise cannot be seen. :wink.

Thanks for the info, yeah I was planning that, I've messed up enough joints before realizing I could hide my mistakes that way! ;)

Thanks for resizing my images for me, whoever it was. :)

Back