Chainwood or Axminster dust extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RorieT

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

Finally giving in and buying a proper dust extractor for my wee workshop. Main culprit for dust is the table saw (which requires 1,000m^3 per hour dust extraction). I also use my router table, bandsaw, planer/thicknesser etc. I'm going to put in some ducting, so a bit of extra capacity won't go amiss.

Anyway. I'm down to either Charnwood W691 or Axminster FM300BC. Spec of each is below. They both look about the same, other than the fact one has a 1HP motor and the other has a 2HP motor. Will this make any difference if they have the same power and extraction rate? Has anybody got experience of either of these?

Charnwood
£269
2HP
1500w
2000m^3/h

Axminster
£280
1HP
1500w
2000m^3/h

I don't see how one can be 1hp and the other 2hp and they have the same watts. 1hp = 750W

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

I have the Axminster 300BC and its an animal, clears my planer, saw and router without any problems, even though your table saw says 1000m3/hr required it is better to overwhelm the extraction rather than just go by the saw specification, you will not be disappointed with the 300BC it has more than enough capacity, if you are going to cut MDF you will need an upgrade on the filter for either of them.

No matter what the spec says on any of them they do not need a 16amp supply, may need a C type Breaker to allow for the surge on start up though.

Mike

The Axminster one is listed as 1ph not 1hp, referring to single phase not horse power. Is this the mix up perhaps?

Ah ha! I did notice it said 1ph, but i assumed it was a typo on their part. But one phase makes more sense!

Good to hear the axminster one is good quality. I am planning on upgrading the filter too.

I have a 16 amp type C for my table saw, but i assume i'll need to get a second breaker and second supply for the dust extractor then? That means a new consumer unit in the garage as i've already used up all my slots :(

The two units look almost identical. I wonder if they come from the same factory....

They're both the same really. You can get the Charnwood for at least £249 though. I have the charnwood its fine

Ordering up the axminster!

Looking at ducting.... i am sure i read a thread about using drainage pipe, but can't find it! I assume its best to use 110mm drainage and get an adaptor?

I'd prefer to use clear pipe so i can see any blockage or issue, but its so expensive from Axminster and can't find any cheaper alternatives. Looking at around 12m of pipe including the vertical legs

If you use 110mm drainage, Axminster do have a "soil pipe" adaptor.

Work out the amps required for you table saw and then add the amps for your new extractor, they will probably be OK off the same 16amp supply as long as you start them one at a time and don't exceed 16amps which is unlikely as the extractor is only 3amp once running.

if you are going to run a ducting system off the Axminster you need to run the main duct in 125mm and T off to each machine through a gate and then change to 100 as near to the machine in question for the best efficiency.

Uk soil pipe is 110mm European soil pipe is 100mm and comes with female swaged ends, the large female end fits into a ring seal 110mm Uk fitting exactly.

Mike

I have ordered up a couple soil pipe adaptors with my new dust extractor, and a few of the metal blast gates.

I never considered the need for a larger pipe than 110mm. Normal drainage pipe doesn't come in 125mm (that I know of), so I assume i'll be ok with 110mm? Otherwise I need to jump up to 160mm. I am going to run the ducting up to the blast gate and then go to a short length of (surprisingly expensive) flex 100mm tubing to the tool

You can get "PU Flexible Ducting Hose" from evcvent on ebay which seems ok and reasonably priced.

The Axminster 300BC comes with a 125mm outlet the two 100mm outlets are a convertor and work very well, however if you are going to hard duct the system I think you will need a larger first stage to make it work efficiently, plenty of 125mm ducting available and I am sure a google search will bring up lots of alternatives, this one came up first on my search: http://www.i-sells.co.uk/ducting-system ... GwodsmUM0Q

Mike

Back