chainsaw suggestion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moby

Established Member
Reaction score
thought i'd best put some info into the forum instead of just taking for a change. :oops:

before christmas i won about third of a ton of laburnum, i also had some huge 3foot rings of poplar that have accummulated over the year.
I had been struggling with an old chainsaw that a friend had given me. despite sharpening the chain, giving it a good cleaning and oiling etc it was taking ages to cut anything. So i decided to buy a new chainsaw.
Looking round prices varied from dear to stupid, considering how much i was going to use it i couldnt justify spending a couple of hundred quid on a half decent one. Anyway, budgeting was prohibiting it.

So I took a look at screwfix and bought this
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb355chn-40-5cm-2000w-electric-chainsaw-230v/92771

I dont usually buy cheap tools because they dont last. it has 5 stars out of 5 for the reviews and now is down to £50 with a 2yr no quibble warranty.

i gave it plenty of stick on ten of the 3' poplar rings, halved the laburnum logs and planked some of it too, in one afternoon. It murdered it. A tad greedy on oil, but what a tool. No sawdust but plenty of shavings! It put the borrowed petrol chainsaw to shame. With the loaned petrol one it was taking me an hour just to do one ring.
Hope it helps someone!

From experience, I think its probably down to the new chain as opposed to the quality of the saw. One plus side of an electric saw though is you can use it inside the shop when its inclementing down outside.

look out for one of these at lidl's

1271682_1.jpg

i think they sell for 20 quid, makes a very sharp blade in minutes. Fantastic value! it can be set to grind the chain at a ripping angle as well.

but please dont buy the same machine from in a different colour plastic from mole valley farmers for 4 times the price! :twisted: :twisted:

as a side note they do eat away the chain pretty quick, but a stihl 12" saw chain is 12 quid so hardly a kings ransom!

adidat (who loves his stihl ms170!)

The problem when people sharpen chains is that they sharpen the teeth and forget to lower the depth guides in front of every tooth this must be filed to the correct depth too much and it can make the chain jump about too little and the chain will not cut correctly. Those of you that own a stihl saw normally get a gauge for showing you the cut angle and at one end there is a step this is placed along the chain with the step just in front of the cutting tooth and the depth guide or tooth will poke through the little slot, all you need do then is file it down to the step.
Hope this makes sense I will have to have a look in my tool box and see if I still have one from my plant mechanic days as I use to repair chainsaws and the like as a job.

The picture will show the depth gauge in front of the cutting tooth

Closeupwithcomment.jpg

I had a cheap German ergo or similar electric chainsaw. It worked brilliantly for about ten years, but the motor died last august. I treated myself to Botche electric saw. The worst chainsaw I have ever come across. It is positively dangerous because it is s frustrating to use. Every time you pick it up with one hand it trips the safety so you have to put it down again an reset the trip and pick it up with both hands. The chain comes off the bar frequently. When working it cuts well but I have to re align the chain about ever y other cut. so I may just get one of those saws from screwfix as a £100 order from them is carriage free to France. (thinks cheap biscuit jointer) to make up the value.

As Dalboy says. almost certainly the depth guides need filing down a bit on the petrol machine chain.

Cheers, Paul

woodfarmer":3n8e8juh said:
I had a cheap German ergo or similar electric chainsaw. It worked brilliantly for about ten years, but the motor died last august. I treated myself to Botche electric saw. The worst chainsaw I have ever come across. It is positively dangerous because it is s frustrating to use. Every time you pick it up with one hand it trips the safety so you have to put it down again an reset the trip and pick it up with both hands. The chain comes off the bar frequently. When working it cuts well but I have to re align the chain about ever y other cut. so I may just get one of those saws from screwfix as a £100 order from them is carriage free to France. (thinks cheap biscuit jointer) to make up the value.

If the chain frequently comes off I would seriously consider junking that....its lethal...one day it will come off in your face!

I bit the bullet when I took up woodturning in Dec 2013 and bought my first Stihl after years of cheaper ones for firewood. I've never looked back.

I'll impart one critical piece of advice....whilst the higher cost machines are better quality, the fundamental thing is just like all the bandsaw advice in that there are three important things:

sharp chain
sharp chain
sharp chain

I used to shirk it as its a pain to do with a hand file. I also then bought one of those bench grinders for £20 (Silverline in my case) and I have to report that they are fabulous. I can now from start to finish have the chain off the machine, sharpened and back in service in 12 minutes flat. The chain is literally as good as new and that makes all the difference.

In so many woodworking endeavours (turning, planing etc) the difference is related to the sharpness of your edges. That adage is massively true in chainsawing. Its also a lot more safe when its actually cutting

I had one of the screwfix saws, worked well and who cares if it goes wrong, they will replace it.

Vic Perrin":13p7ncbs said:
Anyone got any suggestions for an idiots guide to sharpening chainsaws

Vic

mark with a marker pen the first tooth you start on the with a file file the tooth till is is shiny and then move to the next one

Also Vic...only file in one direction ie start with the file so you're pushing into the tooth at the appropriate rake angle. Assert a reasonable side pressure ie push into the metal of the tooth gully and take about 3 passes on each tooth. Don't draw the file back towards you at the end of the pass, lift it out and insert back into the tooth. Examine the tooth after your 3 passes, it should be shiny with a noticeable edge created at its tip.

As the last poster said, mark the first one you do so you know when you're done. Then turn the saw through 180 deg and do the teeth facing the other way. (So for each set of teeth do all in the one direction then turn saw, then all in the next). If yours is very blunt you might need 5 or 6 passes per tooth.

If you really want to go fast and accurate without sore fingers....buy one of those Lidl jobs or the equivalent from Silverline for circa £20....they're incredibly useful. If you're really struggling...PM me and I'll setup a Skype video call and show you live over the web.

Look closely, each tooth should have a small line etched on it showing you the correct angle. Try and follow this, keeping the file horizontal. The file will only cut on the forward stroke, as someone else said do so the cutters on one side first then turn it round and do the other side. Hold the saw in a vice to keep it all still. Make sure you have the correct diameter file for your chain, they're not all the same size. Try and give each tooth the same number of strokes to keep them balanced. You will need to take the depth gauges down every 2 or 3 sharpens, use a flat file, but don't take too much off or the saw will become dangerous to use.
Failing all that, take it in to your local chainsaw dealer they will sharpen it for you! However they will use a grinder such as those pictured, they take loads off, so you'll prob only get 2 or 3 Sharon sharpens from a chain as opposed to 8-10 doing it by hand.

Or get some abrasive stones that fit in dremel and similar tools, Axminster do them, and other places, a quick tickle with them (no need to take the chain off the machine) and you're good to go :)

Cheers, Paul

Generally a fan of Lidl cheapie tools, but doesn't it take a lot longer to remove the chain, put it on the machine and sharpen it, compared to working with a file?
Presumably the downside of the electric sharpeners that work with the chain in place, like the little 12V Oregon, is that they deposit abrasive on the bar, which probably shortens bar and chain life? Plus, of course, the stones are NOT cheap. But ever so quick, so will continue using mine.

I've not tried those Oregon ones though was browsing them today after this thread. Like I mention above, (and I've timed this) it takes me 12 minutes to whip off my bar and sharpen the chain with the silverline cheapie bench grinder. I use a Stihl MS251 which only has a single locknut to get the cover off so its very easy to access the chain.

Do you rate the little Oregon 12 v ones?

The advantage of removing the chain to sharpen is that while it is off it also gives you the opportunity to clean the chain slot in the bar and also the oiling hole. The build up of muck in the slot is not good for the chain or bar. Also remember to remove any burrs off the bar and turn it regularly to even the wear.

Dick I found even after studying file sharpening I couldn't get close to the edge I get with the grinder. And i share dalboy's point. Give it a quick wipe down and check the oil and 2 stroke and fill them up if necessary.

Adidat

Also a user of the Silverline sharpener, but I have six chains with one on the saw, two in the saw's carry case and the rest in the shed as spares. When I have three blunt ones I do a sharpening session and do all three in half an hour. The advantage of course is it also grinds the guide at the same time as the tooth. Usually get at least six or seven sharpening so from each chain and they are stored in a thin oil in the shed and in a plastic bag in the carry case.

Phil

That sounds like a good way to go about things Phil, very organised and efficient !

Didn't appreciate that the grinder does the depth gauges too at the same time.

Cheers, Paul

Back