Chainsaw mill.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat ferret

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking of getting into chainsaw milling, i want to turn odd lumps of oak into beams, gateposts that kind of thing.

I’ve got a husqvarna 365 that can take 28” bar according to the book. Apparently you loose 4” of bar in the jig leaving 24” for cutting.

Does anyone have any advice on chains, what mill to buy or avoid ect. Just looking for some general advice.

I have done this, with oak that we have felled. Used for flooring and timber framing mainly. The chain saw is not the issue in my experience and the jigs are just guides and all much of a muchness. Timber handling is the challenge. A lot depends on what you are trying to mill. If you are dimensioning a hardwood tree trunk, at typical full length, you are dealing with some serious weight and you will need lifting equipment and heavy duty trestles or rollers. If I am just doing occasional stuff from a larger beam say, then my go to tool is my big circular saw, not the chainsaw. No jig needed, though I will need to turn the work to cut from both sides and I can get through a 10" beam this way neatly and with minimal waste. I would say from my experience, the kit needed to do successful heavy timber milling is only justified if you intend to do quite a lot and don't have a portable mill service nearby. That said, I am a bit of a scaredy cat with big chainsaws and freehand chain morticers.

Chainsawbars.co.uk has a good selection of mills and chains as well as info.

As has been stated I think it depends on the size of the trees you’re milling. A bloke I know who runs a tree surgery business says it takes two of them to mill larger stuff because of the sheer weight.

I have both a chainsaw mill and a 30 inch bandsaw mill.Trying to mill seasoned oak with a chainsaw mill is brutal on a saw even with the correct chains and bar,Softwood is not to bad to do,As posted above look at chainsawbars.co.uk

There’s a whole forum section on this over on arbtalk.co.uk.

Not trying to push you away from here but another option.

F.

Back