Chain Mortiser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wobblydoggy said:
As I am building she who must be obeyed's dream home in France, I am taking full advantage on "must have" tools to do the job :wink:

wd
Come now. You can't just throw out a little teaser like that (hammer) More info and a piccie or two please?

I use the Protool (now Festool) CM150 or the Mafell LS103. There hand held mortisers cut cross grain as opposed to parallel. They are a bit quicker but more expensive. The Ryobi/Makita clamp on jobs are a lot less work than an auger and chisel though.

What you really want is one of there babies http://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-5143r ... rcular-saw
and I just got me one of these too for planed jobs http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/0088 ... ner%20110v

On a more serious and in budget note you can't go wrong with a Hitachi C9U2 saw and a Hitachi D13 drill, staple diet of the framer. You'll also want a long series 19mm and 25mm auger for peg hole, avoid the Bahco ones they aren't as good as they used to be.

hanser":301fsncb said:
wobblydoggy":301fsncb said:
As I am building she who must be obeyed's dream home in France, I am taking full advantage on "must have" tools to do the job :wink:

wd
Come now. You can't just throw out a little teaser like that (hammer) More info and a piccie or two please?

Once I can get the hang of putting photos on here I will.

Basically thanks for the interest.

We have bought a house 9M x 6M and Barn 12M x 9M + Small House 6M x 6 M + 2100 metres of land near Argenton Sur Cruese for not a lot.

Now we have got the under growth under control and the knocking out done in the house we are beginning to fit the good stuff.

I have permission to convert the barn to three floors of accommodation + the house.

Projects include 9M x 3M oak framed and peg tile roofed terrace.
Two bay oak framed and peg tile garage and log store on side of house.
Oak pergola in Japanese garden
Split Pool House with extending roof on each side to cover central terrace
Petanque court covered and shaded by octagonal oak pergola
Oak gates
Oak kitchen
Panelling
wet rooms
7 stair cases of various designs
14 foot by 10 foot barn window array with motorized shutters
etc etc

So just a few bits and bobs lol

Why do you think I am tooling up?

Recently bought Redband 16" site saw, which is a beast.

Radial Arm Saw

Domino Cutter

Scheppach Planer Thicknesser

Scheppach Basato 5 Band saw

and various other bits.

Only trouble is still holding down job in London :cry:

Wow some project. I converted a french barn some 25 years ago. Took me 4 years - well you know what it's like - day job, young family, funding. Really enjoyed my project.

Sounds like you're well on the way. Good luck.

hanser":c4fue2z8 said:
Wow some project. I converted a french barn some 25 years ago. Took me 4 years - well you know what it's like - day job, young family, funding. Really enjoyed my project.

Sounds like you're well on the way. Good luck.

Trouble is Hanser I succumbed to the whole kid thing late in life at 38

So now I have 5 ranging from the twins (boys) aged nearly 14 to my youngest aged 4 (Daughter)

I also have seven and twelve year old daughters.

You know the HSBC advert with the tree house and the two young 'designers' well that is me.

Trouble is he is young and I am a fat old fart :lol:

Blimey, the things you have to do to get cheap foreign holidays when you've got 5 kids. Respect :lol:

On a more serious and in budget note you can't go wrong with a Hitachi C9U2 saw and a Hitachi D13 drill, staple diet of the framer. You'll also want a long series 19mm and 25mm auger for peg hole, avoid the Bahco ones they aren't as good as they used to be.

What he said.
I have the old C9U2 and its a bit battered but a real workhorse. The newer green and black tiger striped ones are a bit more plasticcy although one guy I met was happy enough with it.
The makita 235mm equivalent is very good and popular but does tend to spit chips in your face.
Ditto the D13, get a few spare shear screws for it if you buy one. If you're using a biggish auger they are easy to jam.
Makita also do a low speed drill that I've used that is very good. Main thing I the low speed more than anything else.
Makita 1911b planers are good, okay they're not full-on beam planers the 4" blades can be cambered to make finishing wide beams easier.

I really like the ryobi morticers but they are discontinued and are expensive on ebay.
The Makita morticers are good and I have one. They come with a 16mm chain though and like the ones below wider chains are expensive.
The parallel design means you are more flexible on mortice width but they are slower and less accurate than using a perpendicular design (they tend to cut a tapered mortice).
The prices of different chain bars for the Mafells etc are eye-watering and reflect the fact that the users are making money on each operation rather than just trying to get a job done for themselves.

I didn’t like the ProTool I encountered. And it caused a lot of swearing in its owner.

Good luck!

Back