Ceremonial flagpole joint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuggy

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can source a screw-together brass joint for a 35mm diameter 2.4m 2-part pole, please ???

Sounds like you're a standard bearer?

I'm assuming it's for one of these.

image-1-for-anniversary-parade-of-the-battle-of-britain-gallery-537531042.jpg

Nearest I can find is here from the USA.

HTH.

Thanks for your replies. There are numerous companies selling these poles in the uk. However, they all come c/w joint and finial. I suspect they are all imported from the same source, because nobody will sell just the joint.

Pren, the one listed on the American site is exactly correct. I found that as well but I was hoping for a UK source. You are on the right track about being a standard bearer - I'm not, but I know someone who is ..........

Colin,

How about this idea:

Use a dowel screw in one piece:

p1577389_l.jpg

going into a threaded insert in the other:

p4765926_l.jpg

with a piece of brass tube to suit the diameter fixed over the outside of one piece. These pictures are from Screwfix, but they are common fixings.

Andy's idea could work, although having stood in as a standard bearer for the RBL I know that these joints have to stand up to a lot of stress.

A ceremonial banner (the flag part) can weigh up to 5kg (more if it's raining). Add to that the weight of the finnial on top, a strong gust of wind and a swift raising following a lowering on parade and you can get a surprising amount of pole bending :shock:

The coupling consists of two, 2" long sleaves, with a male/female screw thread, that slide tightly over the ends of each pole section and are secured with a screw/rivit from the side. These are made from s/steel (IIRC) and are bloody strong.

If you can't find anything closer, how about looking to have them made up by a metal turner? Otherwise, you could try contacting the Royal British Legion to see if you can source one from their Standard makers?

Are you making the whole thing or just refurbishing an old one?

Actually, I've just come across this site. A guy has made a two peice, screw together, pole for 'polling' a canoe along. His methods are pretty well identical to Andy's idea.

Not sure how much force is involved in 'polling' a canoe but the maker said it works ok for him.

I guess the trickey part would be getting the dowel screws perfectly lined up with the centre line of the pole.

Interesting.

The RBLS have "brass inserts" for banner poles listed on their gift page. Available from The Legion Shop, New Haig House, Logie Green Road, Edinburgh EH7 4HR.
I would presume the RBL have similar items, have you looked in the Englandshire version of "Scottish Legion News"?

Thanks once again for your advice. Pren is correct when he describes the stress this joint has to take. It is even greater when the holder of the flag is travelling on horseback at a full canter !!

The dowel screw idea would work but I don't think it will be strong enough.

Looks as if I'll have to buy one from the US....

If I'm not posting again, may I wish you all a very Happy Christmas and a great NewYear.

How about the fitting off a garden brolly.
I have one somewhere that i took off our old brolly.
If i find it and it is of any use to you you can have it.Just pay for the postage :D

Colin,
Maybe you overlooked the brass tube in addition to the screw suggested by AndyT?

The alignment could be achieved by jigs made on a lathe to ensure co-axial installation or the dowel screw and matching nut.

I think that will add a lot on mechanical strength to the joint and would expect it to stand up to the rigours of your application.

Good Luck

Bob

Yes, I should have said - the strength would all be from the external brass (or steel) tube - the dowel screw would only be keeping the two parts together.

The longer the tube, the stronger it would be.

A good and useful suggestion Andy, but I would be concerned about any swelling or contraction of the pole making it loose or tight within the tube. The practicality is the pole and standard will be stored in a house and taken out occasionally where they could become wet or even very wet. The last thing we want is some numpty forcing the two pieces apart for transporting in a car or putting back under the stairs.

I think the decades old tried and tested arrangement is the best route to go. There's probably an ironmonger somewhre with a stock of old brass fittings. I just need to find him......

Back