Cementing Natural Stone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
I spent Saturday cementing some rather large pieces of natural stone to make up a pond edge. All quite irregular and in need of securing lest someone leans on one and both person and stone end up in the pond.

To cut a long story short, the cement has not adhered to the stone. Something I suspected may happen. The cement has, however, adhered to the concrete sub-edge and the stones have made a good cast in the cement.

So I figure I will glue the stone to the cement "cast". Initially I had thought about using Gripfill but have since wondered how resilient it is to damp and frost (i.e. is it suitable for external use). This is something I can check on, however, I was curious to hear of anyone else experiences using it outdoors and also any other suggestions.

Cheers

PS. The gluing surfaces are not in contact with the pond water so no direct contamination risks.

could try the resin anchortype two part adhesive, the cement and stone will need to be dry. Or possibly a PU construction adhesive if there is moisture in the stone/cement.

Even if the stone in not in direct contact with the water make sure all the exposed cement & concrete are sealed with some thing like G4 otherwise rain will leach out the chemicals and the ph will go right upo and kill any fish, I sealed mine with G4 then fibreglass resin, then marine top coat but the cement is under the water.

Jason

you got to be carefull with cement any where near a pond as it will make the ph go sky high and slowly poison the water quality if not sealed.
try washing the natural stone with a good stiff brush and soaking it in a bucket of water and lay them on the cement damp.

treefella83":3hga4cg8 said:
you got to be carefull with cement any where near a pond as it will make the ph go sky high and slowly poison the water quality if not sealed.
try washing the natural stone with a good stiff brush and soaking it in a bucket of water and lay them on the cement damp.

Thanks, Treefella. The cement is not in the pond, it is above the waterline. Also, the cement is dry, the stone has simply not adhered. I'm going to have to resort to using glue of some sort, perhaps an aquarium sealant.

Cheers

check out your local stone mason, or grave stone maker.
here in west london (park royal) we now have a couple
of companies selling all kinds of stone/granite, york etc,
even marble and whilst some of it is for kitchens etc, they
also stock two part epoxy type things used to fix fireplaces
but can't remember what we used in the dark ages.

paul :wink:

Matt, i have just re read your post :oops:

The stuff Jason suggested is some seriously sticky stuff, im sure it would make a great job of it.

Back