Cement path how to.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to put a small path to my greenhouse, this is what I have.
14 half size paving slabs.
3 bags sand.
1 bag cement.
Now the problem is I am getting on in age 70 and would like to make it a bit easy, I am thinking to mix the sand and cement together then lay it dry on the path area.
Placing slabs on top, then make up a bucket of wet mix and fill between the slabs the next day.
Will this work as I have never done it dry but thinking of my health.
Reg

I'm not sure you have enough sand and cement. If you think you have, then start and see how you go.
Important to get the subsoil firm and level, (or with a SLIGHT fall if you want it to drain). If not firm, the slabs will move over time and cause a trip hazard - not recommended at any age!

You can lay straight on sand, (especially if the sides of the path are supported so the sand cannot seep out over time) - if not mix in the cement in a lean mix (say 8 sand to 1 cement), then putting it down dry is fine - get it all levelled up, then when ready to lay the slabs, use a watering can with a rose to dampen the mortar slightly, then lay the slabs carefully along them.

Tamp them gently along several at a time using eg a long plank on its edge, thereby avoiding uneven edges.

Leave to go off for a day or so, then for the pointing, mix up a dry mix of sand and cement, about 3 or 4 sand to 1 cement. dampen it VERY SLIGHTLY so it is like wet demerara sugar, otehrwise it will stain the slabs. Usin a small pointing, or gauging trowel, pack the mix TIGHTLY into the gaps, then press down and pull along using the trowel, giving a smooth finish just shy of the top of the slabs.

This video shows it quite well, though I would use a drier mix to avoid staining;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEM0cwDzMro

Hope that helps,

Greg

My patio guy used a totally dry muck mix for the pointing and brushed it in with a soft bristled broom head. He then soft rose watered it once in situ and then pushed it firm and smooth with a piece of hose pipe. You can only do this on a dry day of course but the dry mix completely removed any risk of staining the slabs. Worked really well.

Latest posts

Back