Celtic patterned Ash bowl!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps
This pattern caught my eye in one of my books and thought I`d try and burn it onto a bowl wondered what you thought?

IMG_0987.jpg

Started to make a lid for it but not sure now I don`t think it needs one and maybe the pyro is a bit OTT?

IMG_0988.jpg

Side profile of bowl

IMG_0989.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Getting Celtic knotwork right is not easy, all too easy to get the overlap wrong but you have really got this off pat. Being part Cornish, part welsh I love the Celtic artwork but I guess I am a bit biased. I agree it stands well alone, a lid would be too much. Better make another bowl for the lid now. :lol:

Pete

Yes I agree Pete. I think I was getting a bit carried away with the pyro and after I did the texture on the lid I just thought it didn`t match :?
Steve

Attractive piece Steve, must have taken considerable care to scale the pattern to the rim and avoid the risk of going the wrong side of the line whilst burning.

CHJ":3rx2r2ar said:
must have taken considerable care to scale the pattern to the rim and avoid the risk of going the wrong side of the line whilst burning.

Thanks Chas yes a couple of near misses going round the rim with the pyro pen as it gets a bit hypnotic looking at the same design for some time :)
Steve

Steve,

I think that this piece is fantastic in every way, and also agree that the bowl is perfect on it's own.

I love the Celtic band and your level of detail and concentration is superb.

Lovely Ogee curve on the outside of the bowl too and the larger rim is great for showing off the band, great bowl size and grain also.

Top notch m8.

I think this looks really good, very attractive and well made. Nice clean lines. I like the lid too, the radiating pattern draws the eye.

gasmansteve":sam7iwv8 said:
Thanks George enjoyed making it :D
Steve

STEVE

Was this done total free hand or marked out in some way from a pattern ?

It looks lovely as so accurate , any WIP images ? to show us non pyros how its done ?

:wink:

That is brilliant. Well done on getting the pattern so even ! I tried to mark a knot around the side of a bowl recently for carving, and could not get it to stretch evenly and meet up.

Wonderful work.

Lose the lid though :wink:

Hi Steve,

Just wanted to echo Blisters request really.

Any advice on how you did the knot would be much appreciated.

This is the sort of stuff that makes me want to try some pyro work.

Not usually a fan of pyroing but I really like this simple, geometric shape and the style in which you have used it.

Cheers.

Guys

Thanks again for the kind comments. I left a rim of about 60mm on the bowl. The design was in this book I have and after much messing about photocopying a 1/8th piece of the design to get it to the right size I then traced this 8 times round the rim with graphite paper then went over the lines with the pyro pen then filled in the dark bits. Didn`t know quite how it would turn out so never thought to do a WIP if folk are interested I`ll do one next time, got a couple of ideas floating round the grey matter :lol:
Cheers
Steve

gasmansteve":s952muwx said:
Guys

Thanks again for the kind comments. I left a rim of about 60mm on the bowl. The design was in this book I have and after much messing about photocopying a 1/8th piece of the design to get it to the right size I then traced this 8 times round the rim with graphite paper then went over the lines with the pyro pen then filled in the dark bits. Didn`t know quite how it would turn out so never thought to do a WIP if folk are interested I`ll do one next time, got a couple of ideas floating round the grey matter :lol:
Cheers
Steve

Yes please

WIP would be nice

:wink:

Gasmansteve wrote
Cheers Paul BTW hows the vac chuck doing?
It was going well Steve.
I found an adaptor that fits and some pipe/hose,some rubber matting,and all was going well with it,but i haven't had chance to try it out on the lathe.
Haven't done any turning whatsoever for a while now :(
I have been asked to make some vases,the type that don't fall over :lol: but just haven't had the chance.
As soon i try the chuck Steve i will let you know,and thank you for making one for me :D

Latest posts

Back