Cedar window boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippymart

Established Member
Reaction score
Helping a developer out for a few weeks as he is busy and I'm not and he sent me to fit some window boards today. When I got there ,found out they were made out of Cedar. The dimensions are 900mm wide by 40mm thick, made up from 6 planks at 150mm wide.
They are still pretty wet and they are all cut around steels and in a L-shaped bay. Warned him that shrinkage is going to cause him problems as a conservatory so going to get rapid drying out with the heat.

I have one problem windowboard that the joiner glued up and not alternating the grain on the planks to help with cupping.Its already distorted 12mm over the 900mm( which I have to biscuit to the other part of the L) and was thinking about running a few score lines through the back to help relieve some tension when fixing down. Its quite maliable at 40mm thick so was thinking off cutting to half thickness along maybe 3 planks in centreof planks.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this lovely job i have? #-o Client wants cedar even though not ideal for internal joinery.
Cheers Martin.

Dimensions not clear to me - is the windowboard 900mm deep (front to back) or long?? That aside, might it not be cheaper (and easier) for the developer/client in the long run to replace the existing - perhaps with Cedar veneered ply/MDF?

They were 900mm deep. One at 4.5m long, 2 at 3m and 1 at 2.4m long. Got them fitted today and have sanded up nice but marks so easy. Troublesome one wasnt as bad as i was expecting. Glad to get them out the way. Got some more 40mm thick by 150mm deep ones to scribe to stonework tomorrow.Nice!

Wow, big window boards. Glad you got them sorted. Did you think to accidentally leave your business card when they eventually want their heavily marked boards replaced with something more suitable :wink:

They are going to get major shrinkage with them and can see them changing for something more suitable. Joiner said moisture content was still 27% when they left his shop and still wet inside when I cut some pellets out of it. Noticed that the kitchen has had 40mm oak fitted in the past on all the windows so don't know why they went for cedar.
Martin

Back