Caul fat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever used caul fat?

I saw a recipe that called for it some time ago. I can't now remember what it was. But I mentioned it to my NDB1 neighbour, who is a butcher.

This evening the doorbell rang and there he was, with a plastic bag containing water and a ball the size of a water melon. I've just wrapped and frozen 15 pieces of caul fat, enough to last me the rest of my life, probably.

It's very funny stuff. Lining of the stomach, looks like a cross between a pair of lace panties and a road map.

P1030900.JPG

Attachments

• P1030900.JPG
    P1030900.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 946
That reminds me of the haggis I used to eat regularly when I lived in the far north, proper haggis is encased in caul.

The butcher I used was a game dealer too and had a sign in the shop window saying freshly shot haggis sold here.
It was quite funny how many people did not realise it was a joke.

Graham Orm":1geptdvo said:
No, Tripe is the actual stomach of a ruminant, the Caul is more a containment sack for the intestines and other organs.

CHJ":20ssh9c7 said:
Graham Orm":20ssh9c7 said:
No, Tripe is the actual stomach of a ruminant, the Caul is more a containment sack for the intestines and other organs.

OK.... :shock: I've eaten plenty of tripe, never seen that stuff though.

Watch this space

coming soon

Steve Maskery video on preparing caul fat on the bandsaw including jigs and tips :D :D :D

(Sorry Steve)

M

Graham Orm":3bhbvn7e said:
CHJ":3bhbvn7e said:
Graham Orm":3bhbvn7e said:

OK.... :shock: I've eaten plenty of tripe, never seen that stuff though.
If you've eaten decent Faggots then you will have eaten Caul as the containment wrapping.

Hhhmmmm....just to be pedantic..... isn't a "caul" the amniotic sac from a birth? Eg sailors used to have a dried one as a good luck charm? Being born with the caul still over your head was considered a good omen? Maybe I'm not widely read enough and the word "caul" is more generic for internal/lining membrane than it is specific for uterine membrane? Educate me!

Sam

That's the stuff my mum used to make faggots with. They were great but don't think I have had them since the '70s. Don't remember what she called it. Haven't seen it for years. Tripe is much thicker (and tastes like rubber).

The Caul Fat or just Caul as we used to refer to it, or sometimes lace fat, is the thin membrane which surrounds the stomach and internal organs of some animals, such as cows and pigs, something that was always carefully separated when harvesting the offal such as heart, kidneys chitlins when we slaughtered Pigs and specifically requested to be included in returned products from the abattoir when we had a cow slaughtered.

I think that's what sheftalia is wrapped in, certainly looks like it. If you find a good recipe they're delicious!

Back