Cast iron hinges.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtr1

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a source for good quality cast iron hinges? My client would like his door to reflect the period of the house which is Georgian and would like all the hardware to be from the right time also. I did a search but all that came up was a thread about old ones, not new ones. Hafele has them, but they are so cheap they can't be good, can they?

I just Googled cast iron hinges, there are several to choose from.
Hafele look a respectable outfit, why not get them to next day you a few as samples?
Regards Rodders

I have fitted replacement church doors before and used ball bearing/high load hinges to actually hang the door and got a local blacksmith to make wrought iron hinges to plant on. If you can't find any suitable hinges online, try your local smiddy, they can knock up these things fairly cheaply.

Cheers
Craig

mtr1":25ij7fmf said:
Does anyone have a source for good quality cast iron hinges? My client would like his door to reflect the period of the house which is Georgian and would like all the hardware to be from the right time also. I did a search but all that came up was a thread about old ones, not new ones. Hafele has them, but they are so cheap they can't be good, can they?
Don't know about Hafeles offering but in general they are still around and are still the best.

Thanks for the replies, when I first started looking for cast iron hinges I googled and yes, there are many cheap options to choose from. I obviously don't mind that they are cheap, that's always nice, but it does concern me if after a year or two they don't hold up well. The 'from the anvil' option looks like the best, as I've used their stuff before, but it's wrought iron I believe? The other option is to look for good conditioned reclaimed ones, or as rodders suggested get hafele to send me some samples, or just buy some as they are so cheap.

Jacob":3d9ub8p0 said:
mtr1":3d9ub8p0 said:
Don't know about Hafeles offering but in general they are still around and are still the best.

I agree they are very good, wonder why you don't see them fitted on later stuff, decent ones do last well. That said I've taken off 3" internal ones from the Victorian period and they are very worn out and not very good at all.

Hi Mark, I bought some from Ironmongery Direct to replace all the 25 year old brass hinges in my parents house.

The finish and action of them just seemed rough/sloppy so they went back. Nothing like the Baldwin ones.

John

Back