carving timber?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shirehorseman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi ev'rybody,

Does anyone know of a timber supplier in Lancs that sell BASSWOOD, the last time I bought any of that it was a few years back now and that was at JOHN BODDY'S but that is like a 50 mile hike one way from Nelson. I have tried to find somewhere nearer without any luck, any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks.
Trev.

Too bad your so far away I have a garage full of it...4 inch by 24" by 10 ft. I also have precut carving blanks,Santas,animals....

Grinding one,

My God mate, I too wish I lived nearer you, that would (sorry 'bout the pun) keep me going for some time for sure.
Regards.
Trev

I helped a guy saw up a small forrest one day he said you want some carving wood?Yea I`d like some ,well you help me today and I`ll give you some ,* hrs later I had a pickup load passed the top of my cab cut to my carving blank sizes I wanted for labor :D :D :D :D :D I was happy to all get out.Sawmills are great and his had wheels.Go to where the logs are.

Grinding one,

No wonder you have five smiley's in your posting, I too have five faces

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

Good luck to ya'
Regards.
Trev

tulsk":1udajzbx said:
I think Basswood is just what americans call Lime if that's any help.
Cheers John

We call it basswood; I thought it was the Brits who called it lime, or limewood (see Grinling Gibbons).

Two countries separated by a common language :D .

Hi all,

I am very disappointed and somewhat frustrated. I called over to John Boddy's today for the Basswood, only to be told that they no longer stock it, I know that the lad in the shop is not to blame but I told him that it was a poor show as it still showed on their website as available, and it used to be a stock item, fighting the traffic over the tops for an hour and a half with nothing to show for it is not my idea of fun.
So I called in at Harrogate on the way home, quick look round, didn't buy anything, met up with Mike Painter though, and had a bit of a natter, lovely fella and a top top carver. He was on with a sort of Madonna and child statue, absolutely brilliant.
Well still looking for that Basswood. Can't believe it's so hard to locate.
If I could afford I'd move to the States, next to Grinding one, he seems to have got the biggest supply around.
Regards.
Trev. P.S. feel better now that's off my chest.

Heck postage would kill you. moving all your tools over here....But on the other hand we do have a lot of linden trees around me and the sawyer says "Do you need More??" Not yet,not with all I still have.
I guess if your a millionaire I could ship you some???

Trev does it have to be Bass Wood? Have you considered other woods?

I know that dick.biz sell Bass Wood carving blanks, but not cheap with postage, if you're desperate.

Wizer,
Hello mate, the reason for the Basswood, is I want to try to get back into carving, and I thought that I would have a go at Caricature carving to get my hand in so to speak, although it is classed as a hardwood, it is relatively soft to carve and also very close grained -almost non existing-
making it a relatively easier wood to carve with a knife, while holding the item in the other. A number of years ago now the first thing I actually carved with Basswood was a (woodcarver carving a rocking horse) my youngest daughter, coming up to 34 at Christmas always said that she wanted that when I pass onto a higher plane. Sorry to go on wizer, but that is the reason really. It is a very easy wood to carve with and very forgiving.
So I would appreciate some contact details if possible please. Then I can check them out, and as you say the damage of the posting. Which just might be more than the cost of the timber. Once I get going again, I shall be using Lime or Alder in log form.
Regards.
Trev.

So Sorry Trev, I just checked the dick.biz website and they no longer stock it. I bought a lump of it a few years ago from them.

Hello Gringing One,

Yeh mate you're surely not wrong there, I have checked some of the postage prices from the states, and I would need a loan to afford them.
Tell you what you could send me some Linden seeds and I'll grow my own, but then again I'll not be around to see them mature, oh well never mind.
I think I was born on the wrong side of the pond, I will definately have to have words with my Pa when I get up to that great wood yard in the sky with him.
Good luck to you G1 I'm not envious at all :mrgreen: :sick:
Regards
Trev

Wizer,

Don't worry about it mate, I am slowly coming to thinking I must have done something wrong in a previous existance.
That's life as they say.
Regards.
Trev

I've bought lime carving blanks from Devon Woodturning before,if that's the sort of thing you're after.
I also have about 300kg of lime tree in the garden I bought about a month a go,and still need to split and stack.

Andrew

Hello Andrew,

Have checked the Devon site, but it's mostly Lime and Elm.
I appreciate your input mate, but I am really after Basswood at this moment in time, But hey, thanks a lot for the help.
Regards.
Trev

Hi Trev

There is a large piece of Basswood on Ebay with two days to go.
Size is 1700 x 170 x 95 if you are interested.

Hope this helps

John

I don't understand the insistence on Basswood. Lime is the classic carver's wood and rather better to carve than its close relative Basswood.

Back