Carpet and fitting costs..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Pallet

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've just been quoted £2300 local firm

To supply and fit carpet
In two bedrooms and two staircases

(carpet was £19 Square metre)

I've not had much experience buying carpet so to me that very expensive
But if anyone with experience can tell me this is the going rate these days? Lol

Worth getting more than 1 quote. Doesn't seem outrageous but you don't say how big any of it is. Fitting includes underlay, threshold bars, grippers etc plus removing the old, and is more expensive for stairs. Fitting is a constant whatever the price of the carpet so spending a few ££ more for better longer lasting carpet might not add much to the total and be worth it over time.

You might save a little by removing the old stuff yourself. Depends how easy it is to get to the local tip. I have done it years back but it's a heavy and dusty job. Don't try and roll/lift a whole room, cut it into strips with a Stanley knife in situ and do it in sections.

Good to do any redecorating, especially things like painting ceilings if needed, before the new stuff arrives.

Been a few years since buying carpet - pre covid.

A large front room was £400 +100 fitting.

That was decent wool loop carpet. But from a discounter, up north.

It’s not that difficult to fit yourself if you can find some carpet you are happy with. Her indoors taught herself to do it a few weeks ago to carpet the staircase into our loft conversion. Actually did a really good job too.

It’s not that difficult to fit yourself if you can find some carpet you are happy with.
It is one of those jobs that looks simple, how hard can it be to cut a bit of carpet and lay it on a floor. Well it is much easier to make it look a mess or to end up costing more when you find it is now to short or you have cut the wrong bit off. This is one of those jobs that experience is required, don't begrudge a decent carpet fitter a days money to lay your carpet so that it fits well and looks good.

In January last year I was informed by her indoors that i had to re do our bedroom.....total refurbishment, walls to walls & floor to ceiling including a new bed.

This entailed modifying existing wiring, new ceiling ( plastered), new lights, moving a light switch, hanging a new door on the opposite side of the frame, moving radiator pipework and fitting a new radiator, replacing a good number of broken & damaged floorboards, making and fitting a new Oak threshold, making from scratch all new wardrobes, cabinets and doors and then fitting them, all the painting & decorating including the wallpaper & coving.

The only thing I didnt do myself was fit the grippers, underlay & carpet......I never even considered fitting it and I have always taken on most things myself.

From memory about 3.5m x 5m of Axminster hessian backed carpet and underlay with grippers was £570 + Vat (£684) including the fitting which took 2 blokes about 1 hour to do. They had to cut around all the legs of my cabinets, so it wasnt just a 3.5m x 5m rectangle.

Edit. Chris,... I've just noticed you're in Essex, as am I...

Last edited:
We have just had one bedroom / long corridor / stairs for about £1250
Staircases add cost because they take time and are fiddly - so if you have two, and an extra room I would say that it is not too high a cost - depending on the quality of the carpet and the underlay - ours were both good quality.

It is one of those jobs that looks simple, how hard can it be to cut a bit of carpet and lay it on a floor. Well it is much easier to make it look a mess or to end up costing more when you find it is now to short or you have cut the wrong bit off. This is one of those jobs that experience is required, don't begrudge a decent carpet fitter a days money to lay your carpet so that it fits well and looks good.
100% I have no interest in fitting carpet myself, it looks like one of the jobs I’d hate! Hard flooring, tiles, wood, laminate, concrete, I’m fine with. If I had the cash I would gladly pay a fitter.
It was a case of necessity, we had a staircase I had built with two turns, all the bannister done, but no carpet and a lack of cash on the hip.
To be fair to her, she found the carpet cheap locally and taught herself to fit it using the tools. She did a bloody good job too, much better than I would have done, I dont think I’d have the patience.

It doesn’t feel outrageous based on our recent experience….

Two rooms around 3x3m (although the carpet only came in 4m width of course)
One room 7x4m.
One room 6x4m.
Hall (about 4x4m), stairs (with double winder) and landing and passage (2x 8m).

No joints (our choice) so there was some wastage but not a huge amount and using a mixture of the same carpet but in different weights at £19 and £24 m2, 11mm underlay throughout, 7 door bars, 2 long tile to carpet bars and all grippers.

After a bit of negotiation we paid £2,100 and the fitter organised by the supplier was £400 when the job was done.

I've just been quoted £2300 local firm

To supply and fit carpet
In two bedrooms and two staircases

(carpet was £19 Square metre)

I've not had much experience buying carpet so to me that very expensive
But if anyone with experience can tell me this is the going rate these days? Lol
I have had carpets fitted recently throughout my home it's been a few years since the last time I had carpets fitted. The cost was a lot more but, in a way, I think it is fairer now, carpet fitters for a long long time did not get paid the going rate (Carpetright was awful) so what goes around comes around is my take on it, within reason of course.

Thank you for everybody's responses to be honest it was a relief to everybody is paying a similar sort of money I then averaged it at £500 of room then £500 a staircase with a couple of landings and actually it's a pretty good deal.

As I managed to work out the square metre Ridge with the rooms the stairs and landings entered it into tappy carpets and Carpetright websites and it was coming up and nearly £3,000.
Plus they don't have any fitters they just employed a local man and van type to come and fit it so I don't think it would have been a pleasant experience.

We ended up going with the quote that we got from the local guy that literally lives in the next Road he has been so accommodating without building work and he's coming back another day to finish off so it doesn't get dirty.

I took the advice to save a few quid, I cut it all up myself and removed it as we had a skip make sure all the rooms were clear and obviously the first question was what's the price for cash which knocked a little bit off so all in all very happy and the fitting has been done is absolutely perfect.

Thanks again all 👍

Latest posts

Back