Carlb40 - Box - WIP - Finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday i managed to make and fit the splines. What a palaver i had getting the splines the right size. 3 lots of timber to get the correct size. Even the very very slightest nudge on the fence made 2 of the timbers wayyy too loose a fit :roll:
Anyway after about 30 min and who knows how many test fits. Splines where the right size :D

IMGP4506.jpg

Also glued - well epoxied 2 of the feet on yesterday. Then the other 2 today.

IMGP4508.jpg

Yesterday i was trying to decide between titebond/ resintite/epoxy to glue the feet on. Needed/ wanted some strength on the joint due to planing the feet once attached.
Finally decided on epoxy, probably over kill. But better safe than sorry. That purpleheart can be a pain to plane.

As you can see, i gave it a quick sand. Started marking up for the curves. Now i kept the curve on the top the same as the rest. 2mm down from the top. Just not sure it is enough? Will 3mm be too much and look inconsistent with the other curves?

Decisions decisions

carlb40":z14uz60g said:
Yesterday i managed to make and fit the splines. What a palaver i had getting the splines the right size. 3 lots of timber to get the correct size. Even the very very slightest nudge on the fence made 2 of the timbers wayyy too loose a fit :roll:
Anyway after about 30 min and who knows how many test fits. Splines where the right size :D

Carl, if you want to adjust you router table fence fractionally then clamp a piece of wood on the table top against your fence with a business card or a piece of folded paper between the wood and your fence, loosen the fence clamps, remove the card / paper then move the fence to touch the clamped piece of wood, it takes all the guesswork away and you can make minute adjustments that way, if you only do one end then the adjustment is even smaller.

Hope you understand what I am trying to say.

Andy

Thank's Andy i do understand what you mean. I was only adjusting one side as it was. Not sure the box would have survived if i tried moving both ends of the fence. (hammer)

Right a wee update is in order me think's. Most of this was done about a week or so ago, a bit of work came my way so the box was put on hold.

After marking out the top curves - marked down 2mm on the corners, then marked the centre point and used a bendy rule to form a curve. Trying to plane down to the lines with my 4 1/2, i felt too much could go wrong. Sooo stood back and thought about it. Then i thought i will try my spokeshave, opened the draw and remembered i had sold it #-o Next to the space where it used ti sit was my No 80. Gave it a whirl and it did the trick nicely :)

IMGP4572.jpg

Hopefully you can see the curves going both ways, ie left to right. Front to back.

Did the same with the sides, found the centre point. Marked in 2mm and again with the bendy rule marked from the centre out to the corners of the feet.

After some planing, resting in between due to the box being too high to use the wooden plane.

Here are the results

IMGP4573.jpg

Needs a bit more finessing of the curves, which should be done over the next few days now my gooseneck scraper has arrived.

Then it will be time to cut the lid on it :shock:

Almost finished.

Box lid cut off, done over 2 days with my ryoba saw . It was a tad nerve racking as it was the first time i have done that.

After cutting it open i planed all cut edges with my 5 1/2 :)

Deciding it needed some way to open the lid. I made a template and routed out for a bit more purple heart. The top part forms the 'handle' the bottom part was scraped/ sanded to create a slight recess to allow your finger to lift the lid.

Hopefully you can see what i mean LOL :)

Next up, the hinges. Decided not to bother with yet another jig. So chopped them in by hand.

All sanded to 600g, just needs a wipe down and shellac applied. :)

Shellac applied, not sure how many coats - lost count :lol:

Front

Inside of lid

Side 1

Side 2

Rear

Didn't bother retaking insides/underneath due to them being pre finished before glue up. Hope that's ok?

Good luck to those who entered

Poop - forgot the last few screws, so here is a pic ( bad as put tripod away) of missing screws installed.

Latest posts

Back