Carlb40 - Board thingy comp - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So onto today. I cut the shelf to shape and rounded it over as per the base. I then mocked up the shelf with some 15mm timber and it looked better.

However it all still seemed a bit on the thick/chunky side and i almost left it as it was for a rustic look. :lol:
But it was really annoying me. :oops: So i took a hand plane to the shelf, but i had no decent way to hold it while planing it. Sooooo i made a jig :D

I then put the base/ top through my thicknesser and reduced them to about 14mm - much better. :)
I then packed the shelf up and that got the same treatment only to 10mm.

I then mocked it up again to see how it look now.

Then i reshaped the top round over to get a smoother, more gradual taper to the main section. Then it was a lot of sanding of the end grain on the fronts.

Now my chisels will be here tomorrow, so i can crack on with the dovetails once i have sharpened the chisels. :)

So the chisels arrived :D and after prepping them i got on with the rest of the dovetails. I did the sides in pairs.

They haven't turned out that good, quite gappy in parts - well nearly every where :(
First mistake, after just marking out the pins ready, i cut the wrong side of one of the lines. #-o

After i finished cutting, i did try to glue a slither in the saw cut, but it didn't work.

By the 4th set i was getting better and i was actually happy with that set. For what you are about to witness - may i be truly be sorry. :oops: :oops:

So everything is now dovetailed. When i worked out the tail spacings on the sides, not giving any thought to the pins. So when i went to cut my first set of pins this error showed it's face. #-o

So i had to resize the last tail and mark the pins again.

There is a lot of short grain happening in the base/ top. Just as well this isn't a large item designed to take heavy objects. :oops:

So with all that done i decided to have a tongue and groove arrangement where the 2 internal corners meet.

Still have some over hang to remove from the one side.

Then i gave the front edges of the sides the same treatment as the base. That is the thumb mould cutter and round over.

Now roughly how it will look, well minus the shelf at the mo. :lol:

So next? Well a groove needs to be formed in the sides, then the shelf cut to suit. And then the joyous time of sanding sanding, grain filling and yet more sanding. :roll:

Well as i don't have a router plane yet - still deciding between the LN or veritas :D

Sooo i nervously set up my router table for the grooves/ housings for the shelf. A bit of trial and error later and this happened. :cool:

It was then time for the grain filler, as usual i might have applied a wee tad too much. :oops:

That ended up being left for 48hrs as i started a few weeks work yesterday. :) So today all the parts were sanded back

and then hand sanded up to 800 grit. You might just be able to see the polished surface just starting to appear.

Those are as yet without any finish on them. :)

Then after a break for lunch they were all taped up on the glue joints

And then a coat of oil was wiped on.

I will now let it dry/cure for a week or so before wiping a shellac coat prior to some water based varnish. :)

Well done Carl. I haven't cut a dovetail since my schooldays. I'm going to give it a go, soon.
Cheers,
John

Grahamshed":3d3psf1c said:
Well, if you get points for calories burnt then you are on a winner there Carl.
Nice bit of wood.
Thank you Graham, well i certainly could do with losing a few more calories :lol:

John15":220ywi70 said:
Well done Carl. I haven't cut a dovetail since my schooldays. I'm going to give it a go, soon.
Cheers,
John
Thank you John. It was a bit harder than i thought it would be.

carlb40":36tify6u said:
MMUK":36tify6u said:
carlb40":36tify6u said:

Definitely looks like Mahogany to me, the oil has really brought out the grain 8)
Thank you Steve, now i just need to decide on what to use the other 8 x 2 of it on. :-k

You could make a persuader out of it :wink: Ideal for convincing people to buy your work :wink: :wink:

Cheers Steve. When you said persuader - thought you meant one of these. :mrgreen:
20130212_195416.jpg

20130212_195537.jpg

Not sure i'm good enough to sell anything woodwork wise yet.

Blimey Carl! Busy busy :lol:

Good luck with this and to save me turning into a internet stalker i'll say here I hope you get too finish off that work bench soon and find a finish that behaves itself for your tool box :)

Dean

Back