Card Fraud

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a call today from East London Underground asking if i had recently bought an Oyster card to use on the Tube,this may be because i live in N E England and has shown up as an unusual transaction.Someone has managed to purchase this online useing my card details and presumably also the security number on the back.I am at a loss as to how they have got these details,the only online purchase i have made in the last 2 months was to currys for a hoover,could the info have come from their records?

Card details plus security number means one of two things, IMO. Firstly, card number obtained, then random tries at security number by fraudster until successful. Secondly (more likely), card details and security number noted by employee and sold or exchanged. Did you put the card into the PIN machine, or did the employee? As the rear of the card can be facing the operative, it's not difficult to note. More difficult to overcome where the machines involve a downward and customer-facing slot.

My card details (not including security number) were sold or exchanged some years back by an employee of a famous on-line insurance company. Seems that even the much-heralded PIN number isn't doing much better than before. :(

Ray.

Last time i ordered anything online ,they wanted pin no and security
no as well.They will sell your soul today! :?

Ray it wasn`t me that ordered anything,someone used my card details and security number online .The last people who had this info from me were Currys digital and i assume one of their employees has either used them or disclosed them to another party.Was talking to bruv in law tonight and he had 3 fraudulent transactions on his visa the other week.

In my opinion the best way is to do as I do, draw out enough readies for the week and pay by cash, I appreciate this is not possible on the net but for domestic purchases hard cash is the safest way.
Rich.
ps. the other bonus is if the item you purchased is not up to scratch, when you return it you are repaid in readies.

Forty quid was withdrawn from my account yesterday for a transaction on the 14th,if it hadn`t been picked up on straight away it would have been at least another week before i woul have checked my account. In a week they could have used it again and again as their first attempt was successfull.I have put a stop on my card and another will be issued next week and hopefully i will get the money returned. :)

I hope you didn't give whoever called you up any details. Who are "East London Underground" when they are at home?

andycktm":1bwa8l3y said:
Last time i ordered anything online ,they wanted pin no and security
no as well.They will sell your soul today! :?

It's normal to give your 3 digit security number when buying online but never, ever give your pin number, not even to someone claiming to be from your Bank, C C Company or whatever.

Rod":1a4xsckx said:
I have put a stop on my card and another will be issued next week and hopefully i will get the money returned. :)

Just call your card company and tell them that you never made the transaction. They will then credit the money back to your account and then take 40 quid back off of East London Underground.

The way that the credit card system is set up, the only people who ever loose money on credit card fraud are the merchants.

I'm still a bit confused about the East London Underground, as the name doesn't make sense. Was it London Underground?
As far as I know all payments got to tfl - Transport for London. So it could have been a phishing trip.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER type your pin into a "wireless" card terminal as used in restaurants/pubs.

in a recent youtube demonstration I saw a laptop setup to "sniff" wireless systems used to transmit card details from the walk-about terminal back to the base station.

Its easily done and farming of card details from pub-restaurant car parks has already been reported.

encrypted or not, don't use them, just refuse and ask to type your pin into the base station, they had to have one if the walk about terminal runs flat.

you have been warned :shock:

steve

kityuser":3fdhe600 said:
in a recent youtube demonstration I saw a laptop setup to "sniff" wireless systems used to transmit card details from the walk-about terminal back to the base station.

Interesting. Do you have any links to more information about this.

*grinz whilst chuckling*

um... no

just trust me on this one.

Don't use them.

Steve

frugal":1im4add0 said:
kityuser":1im4add0 said:

Interesting. Do you have any links to more information about this.

They did something similar on some 'scam' program on BBC3/BBC4. Quite scary. :shock:

MDF_HAKA":25dbmk1o said:
They did something similar on some 'scam' program on BBC3/BBC4. Quite scary. :shock:

That would be something like "The Real Hustle". All of those are social engineering in one form or another. This sounds like a quite technical approach.

frugal":2r5tphcf said:
That would be something like "The Real Hustle". All of those are social engineering in one form or another. This sounds like a quite technical approach.

Quite a good program that. I have seen them do a few technical scams.

One of which involved "bluejacking" where they targeted people in a train station with unsecured bluetooth connections on their phones. They remotely used the "mark's" phone to dial a premium rate number they had set up. Of course the phones were in peoples pockets, so they had no idea, and it could well have been hours before they noticed. :shock:

frugal":u08rys3l said:
MDF_HAKA":u08rys3l said:

That's the prog. The one I saw they sat in an hotel with a wireless laptop and some software. They soon obtained credit card details etc from other peoples laptops that were using the hotels wireless facility.

Back