Carbide Tools.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groggs

Reaction score
Shwmae,
I'm about to have a go at making my own Carbide tipped tools and need a little help.
What percentage of the tool shank do I need to have inserted into the tool handle?

I'm about to have a go at making my own Carbide tipped tools and need a little help.
What percentage of the tool shank do I need to have inserted into the tool handle

I like around 75mm glued in with epoxy, commercially many only provide 50mm. My argument against that is if it ever faults you've lost your handle and a good catch on hardwood will most likely rip it out.
I probably have made more than 60% of the handles I use with this method and have never hand one fail and I hang off end of them turning Australian Burrs on a regular basis.

I think it all depends on what you're going to use the tool for, doesn't it?

If you're going to be deep hollowing with the tool a long way over the toolrest then it's probably a different answer than if you're going to be using it for shear scraping.

I think a better way to size it is as a proportion of the handle length - say 20 - 25%. After all the smart thing to do is to size the handle to the job too.

2" in an 8-10" handle is probably ok, as would 3" on a 12-15" handle.
HTH
Jon

I think the guide Jon has given is about right it all depends on the size of the tool and what you intend making with it also another point to consider is the thickness of the tool for the length as well

Back