car warranty

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digit":1hitaqd3 said:
A friend of mine has got through two Mazda auto boxes in just over a year, unlucky or what?
Anyway DW, gear changing is what God gave you a left hand for!

Roy.

Its the wife and her arthritis that made me go over to auto, it avoids stress for her on those ankle and left hand joints.

Must go and find an motor forum and make enquiries about those gear boxes, the warranty cover would be worth it for that risk covered.

As I said earlier never paid for warranties before, but,,,,,,,,,,,

Have a look at honestjohn - he's in the motoring section of the Telegraph on Saturday: very good discussion forum.

in his car by var breakdown:
the 2003-07 Mazda 2:
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=675

and I quote
"What to Watch Out For
Feedback welcome.

ASM Module and gear actuators of automated manual prone to failure after 4 - 5 years and replacement likely to cost £1,500. "

is yours the this one or the newer one from Sep 07?

Many thanks Andy for that and link.

That confirms it then and what I suspected re gearbox, I have noticed there are many automatics for sale in my area and a £1500 replacement is well worth a premium of £259 cover, it could come up trumps within one year.

(Better than a £5000 loss on a trade in. )

At the present time I have queried with mazda agent why reverse does not alway select, and they fobbed me off.

So keep me in mind re warranty prices, required from end March 2010.

Thanks bassbear, I have requested a written quote with details from the Mazda agent who sent me the original circular letter.

My daughter had a very large claim paid out on her Range Rover, she had a fight on her hands at the time, because a subsequent fault came up with an oil seal leak in the gear box area.
Totals paid was over £2000.

if you've had the car serviced at your local mazda dealer I would go and talk to them (service manager) about the warranty and the honestjohn webpage.

Say to them this is a known problem that you want fixed now whilst the car is still in new car manufacturers warranty.

If they say there is not a problem to fix at the moment you then say OK, I'll take out your extended Mazda backed warranty, but given you say no problem, you'd like it in writing that if anything goes wrong in that area the warranty will cover it.

Thanks Andy, I agree your advice would be the way to go.

Do you know why a Mazda agent would say there is not a fault, do they have to bear the expense of a new car warranty claim and that puts them off?
I like the letter from service manager idea but would I be laying myself open to knowing of a fault if it then came to a crunch if there was a complete gearbox failure. The insurance company might get out of it that way?

I don't think the dealer has any liability for the new car warranty - normally it's manufacturer central UK HQ. So they may be very amenable to fixing it as it should be no skin of theirs. Likewise any extended manufacturer backed warranty may be through an insurance co, but it's still managed centrally.

I think this route will only work through the local dealer and you taking out a mazda central backed warranty.

If its a third party general insurance warranty ala warranty direct / aa etc then not sure how this would work and I'd be wary of the small print. Again there's lots of info / discussion on general insurance warranties on the honestjohn forum - might be worth putting the question on there.

Spoke to agents on the telephone today, (the gentleman dealing with warranties is away on holiday) but telephone information is that it is an extended warranty the same that came with new car and includes recovery as well. But still awaiting written details .

So take off the AA cost with recovery and that warranty is going to be cheap. :wink: at £259 per an.

Thomvic, gave them a telephone call, about the same price as the Mazda dealer but no roadside recovery.

Sending a written quote so will have something to compare and got a franchise dealer type cover when I pushed them on quote at no extra premium.

Thanks for your trouble.

Settled for the Mazda extended warranty at a total of £549 for 2 years, it has also got the top type of road recovery and destination cover like AA for all Europe included.

So £350 is the warranty cost and £200 is the recovery value.

Thanks for all replies above.

Latest posts

Back