Car electrics. Anyone here any good?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The in-car fusebox is a right pain!
Try measuring the voltage on B7 on the cluster connector first, if that is live with the sidelights on then you can ignore that in car fuse box and the fault is with the cluster somewhere, if it is not then you will have to practice some yoga and access that fuse box.

Where did you get the replacement bulbs? Had an issue years ago where the only bulb that would work was the one purchased from main dealer. Apparently something to do the monitoring system and resistance. Some dash bulbs are 14volt too.

Where did you get the replacement bulbs? Had an issue years ago where the only bulb that would work was the one purchased from main dealer. Apparently something to do the monitoring system and resistance. Some dash bulbs are 14volt too.
having read through all this I would second this. The problem started when the bulbs were changed. Are the new ones the correct voltage? What happens if you put the old working ones back in?

Perhaps I should say "any good at explaining in Noddy fashion"!

In UK, Honda 2004 CRV.
Changed the dashboard cluster lights as 2 of 'em had blown.
Result = all the "warning" lights work - handbrake, seatbelt, SRS, oil and so on.

The 4 gauges/dials work - speedo, fuel level, temp, revs - but don't light up.

I've turned the bulbs 180 in their holders.
I've turned the holders 180.
I've checked the 7.5A fuse governing "gauges".

What else can I look at?!

A couple of things do the replacement bulbs work have you checked them? Sounds silly but been there before where new bulbs are faulty.

To recap everything works as it should apart from the above lightening up do they come on with headlights switched on?

Honda dealer, and all checked with a battery prior to all this farce.
No 14v jobs.

A couple of things do the replacement bulbs work have you checked them? Sounds silly but been there before where new bulbs are faulty.

To recap everything works as it should apart from the above lightening up do they come on with headlights switched on?

Just needed side lights and wipers on - no problem.
Radio works. Windows work. Front and rear lights work. Headlights and full beam work. Brake lights work. Sunroof works. Everything works except the dial illumination......but......

Got back home, parked up, took the dog out in the rain.
He paused at the nearest lamppost, 10 yards in front of car.
(Cue big sigh from me, as this would be the first stop of many!)
Happened to turn around, and spotted the car's sidelights still on, which means......

The normally audible "you've left your lights on" warning isn't working.

As you've all gathered by now, I'm not good with a wiring diagram, so whether this gives you another clue/zeroes in where the problem lies, I don't know......

having read through all this I would second this. The problem started when the bulbs were changed. Are the new ones the correct voltage? What happens if you put the old working ones back in?
Yes, all proper voltage.
I tried the old "set" back in t'other day, replacing the original 2 duff 'uns with 2 of the new. Same result - no dial lights.
Thought about replacing the 2 new with the original pair that didn't work....but genuinely can't recall if I did so now.
Maybe disturbed with a phone call or something.
It's a thought though - might try this evening.

Just wondering if there is a master bulb, like the old xmas tree lights, one goes they all stop! If cluster out check printed circuit card and try to establish feed and neutral as that just may track through one bulb first then out around to ohers.

Just wondering if there is a master bulb, like the old xmas tree lights, one goes they all stop! If cluster out check printed circuit card and try to establish feed and neutral as that just may track through one bulb first then out around to ohers.

It's a thought, but I'd like to think Mr.Honda would have considered my 2 a.m. February journey on the M1, and the considerable effect that one bulb failing and taking out the rest would have had on me!

Just wondering if there is a master bulb, like the old xmas tree lights
These five bulbs are in parallel not in series. If the sidelights are on then that suggest the problem is within the cluster so if you have voltage on B7 then it is on the return / ground side and the fact you have other lights on also suggest they could be trying to ground themselves via another route.

Just found this on youtube, 2005 honda crv,

Yes, thanks - I'd seen this. There are lots of 'tube videos regarding the same sort of problem, but none have sorted the problem yet.
The bulb laddo features on this particular vid - assuming the Yank version of the car uses the same unit, just on the "wrong" side of the car! - is the immobilizer... and mine works fine.
Even if things were sided/reversed, that bulb is for cruise control/fog lights - mine has neither.

Yes, thanks - I'd seen this. There are lots of 'tube videos regarding the same sort of problem, but none have sorted the problem yet.
The bulb laddo features on this particular vid - assuming the Yank version of the car uses the same unit, just on the "wrong" side of the car! - is the immobilizer... and mine works fine.
Even if things were sided/reversed, that bulb is for cruise control/fog lights - mine has neither.
See where he's tracing the tracks on the PCB, pos and neg? If you can access, you could check continuity end to end (plug to last bulb, ensure there's no break in the track on either one?)

Anybody tell me what the letters/numbers represent, please?
numbers.JPG

could be a ref to where found in manufacturers workshop book for car, wiring loom ref, plug ref etc. still not working then? Honda may have a diagnostic service. Most are compreshensive and pinpoint the issue, the last I saw indicated the motor in the heater unit of a vwt6 within seconds. Costly though.

could be a ref to where found in manufacturers workshop book for car, wiring loom ref, plug ref etc. still not working then? Honda may have a diagnostic service. Most are compreshensive and pinpoint the issue, the last I saw indicated the motor in the heater unit of a vwt6 within seconds. Costly though.
And that's what I'm trying to avoid.... I've got a leccy bill to worry about!

I'm trying to find a few hours in a row to try the suggestions mentioned. I'd just removed all the dash earlier when a neighbour wandered past with her dog, who's "been very poorly lately and cost nearly two thousand pounds to get right".
I'm sitting there, sun straight in my eyes, driver door wedged open with my right foot, a test lamp in my lap along with the instrument panel, and various other bits of panelling lying around. Frankly, I don't care about her dog, love them though I do.
Train of thought gone. Shot.
Go away, and take your bloody dog with you.
"Oh! Has something dropped off?" she asks. "I know nothing about cars...."
"Join the club", says I.

Latest posts

Back