Car electrics. Anyone here any good?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well gentlemen, you probably gathered that I gave in and ordered a second-hand job. It arrived today, got slapped in....and worked first time, I'm pleased to report!

Everything....except the audible "you've left your lights on!" alarm.
Can I live with that?
Not sure!

Not entirely

This is more like a shift in the balance of safety, yes people have more chance of surviving crashes because of airbags and crumple zones but are also more likely to have a crash through distraction caused by all those added features involving touch screens and like. When I was last recovered by the RAC the guy said that by far the biggest reason for vehicle recovery are electrical issues that cannot be readily repaired at the roadside, at times it can feel like an epidemic of failures.

We perceive cars as being less polluting, yes many are during there lifetime but not if you consider the whole product lifecycle because cars are becoming more like white goods and wheras 200,000 was common for a diesel that is fast becoming a thing of the past, my local garage has had cars with three cylinder engines that have totally failed at 70,000 so they may be clean in use but have consumed a lot of resources for a shorter lifespan.
Fraud Transits diesels or others that use same engine and set up going wide open till blow up reg or just die.
Someone i know has many in there fleet have a pile that engines blown up at 30k!

Now you just need to fix the old one, you know the fault is in the cluster so should be a straightforward job on the kitchen table.

You're right, Roy - and I did!
Removed the cluster back panel, and checked it. Spotted a trace had lifted, checked both ends for continuity - nope. Nothing.
I bought one of those repair kits - ostensibly to fix broken rear screen demisters - and "painted" over the trace. Dried overnight, and the trace was restored. (Marked in red, on the photo. Not actually my unit, just nicked off another site )
Banged it all back in the car, and hallelujah! Everything OK, even the audible "lights on" alarm!
The one blemish is that the trip button is locked on full mileage - it won't show A or B - but I think that's more a mechanical operation rather than electrical.
Pcb.jpg

So what caused the original to fail? Perhaps the heat during the summer? Who knows....
So what to do with the replacement unit?!
eBay maybe!

Latest posts

Back