Car Boot Sale Threads

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there still an appetite for threads showing the bits and bobs bought in car boot sales?

A couple of years ago there were a few threads each week, but last year the popularity of the threads seemed to die off a bit for some reason (surely nothing to do with Jimi's new interest in looking up at the sky...!) Anyhow, interest seemed lacking so I didn't bother to do any myself, inspite of going weekly and getting some good stuff, most of which needed restoration.

I have always enjoyed the boot sale threads; informative in most cases, who doesn't like pictures of rusty old stuff, and restoration WIPs occasionally follow.

Well, it's boot sale season again and I was just wondering if you still enjoy reading them and why they seemed to fall away?

use to like doing them, and seeing others.

but at the latest count of about 50 rusty chisels "im gonna sort them one day" i thought i better curb my buying!

adidat

Absolutely not, it might encourage more people to get out of bed early on Sunday morning and get the bargains before me.

If you must encourage this diabolical behaviour at least provide lots of pictures for us to drool over.

Seriously any thread is better than a 7 page sharpening thread.

I'm right you're wrong, NO you are wrong I am right aaaaggghhhhh

We're fortunate in this neck of the woods there's no "season" here for carboots, we have two fairly large ones that continue throughout the year come rain or shine. :)

My latest from yesterday.
The Fraser Saw Sharpener, made by Borer Engineering (Tool) Co, Croydon Surrey.
complete with box and instructions (pat No. 725,911)
Anyone use one?
Will report back with pictures, during the week, got to go visiting this afternoon, so I'm told!

Bod

Bod":3secg4gl said:
Anyone use one?
Will report back with pictures, during the week, got to go visiting this afternoon, so I'm told!

Bod

i'll look forward to it.

Meanwhile here's your patent, from 1952.

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicat ... 5911A&KC=A

BugBear

I love to see them, although I'm jealous. I never seem to find anything useful at local boot sales. Perhaps someone got there first.......

Bod":3uc5j6zl said:
Anyone use one?

Bod
I have one but have never used it, i keep meaning to bung back on ebay :)

I always enjoy them. Maybe we could have a hybrid thread; 'How do you sharpen your car boot finds'.

:twisted:

I've been meaning to post the stuff I've bought this year but so far it's been a long way from woodwork related.

As best as I can remember, this year has yielded: a hand pump, a one handed shovel, two balls of string, three rolls of duct tape, a set of letter punches, some light bulbs, batteries and five slabs of Swiss chocolate.
There was a dalek on a trailer there last time, but I decided against it as it was obviously empty.

As soon as I get something relevant I'll post it.

this is all i found this weekend £4.00 the lot

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 1,623
Love the brace, great idea having storage in the handle.

I have an early boxwood multi tool that's a similar idea that I keep meaning to dig out and share with the group.

Scouse":3s52di25 said:
Is there still an appetite for threads showing the bits and bobs bought in car boot sales?

A couple of years ago there were a few threads each week, but last year the popularity of the threads seemed to die off a bit for some reason (surely nothing to do with Jimi's new interest in looking up at the sky...!) Anyhow, interest seemed lacking so I didn't bother to do any myself, inspite of going weekly and getting some good stuff, most of which needed restoration.

I have always enjoyed the boot sale threads; informative in most cases, who doesn't like pictures of rusty old stuff, and restoration WIPs occasionally follow.

Well, it's boot sale season again and I was just wondering if you still enjoy reading them and why they seemed to fall away?

I haven't frequented any bootsales, but I do occaisonally drop lucky in a junk shop or similar, so I quite understand the attraction.

As a direct answer to the question - yes, I'm all in favour of 'bootsale threads'. As you rightly say, they often lead to discussion on restoration techniques, tool history and similar informative and interesting stuff (as this thread is already doing!). A few more threads along similar lines would not go amiss.

Scouse":1ypj7uoa said:

I think its a great idea. Regular myself but up here good car boots are few and far between. Got one or two bargain myself but purely lucky. I know that with one particular big car boot up here that the organisers have a 'backdoor' arrangement which lets one or two dealers in early (mostly antiques) which I think is a bit of twist but hey they are there to make money. But It would be great to see a weekly 'what did you get at the car boot today' slot ... even if I would probably green with envy!

Latest posts

Back