Car Boot Mini Gloat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ro

Established Member
Reaction score
Down at the New Forest Car Boot Sale it appeared to by Tool Day! It seened as though every other stall had a box of rusty tools to pick through - which was great fun (even if the other half started moaning at me - she got her own back on the plant stalls though :) ).

I was very restrained and only had to make one trip back to the car to store my stash before buying more. Now, where did I put that citric acid...

Total spend: £16

5067353840_4d9e11d12c.jpg

I went to two and only got a wooden mallet and a stanley blade for a plane..

I was trying to get my 1st set of planes there, though the guy that sold me the blade said he had tools and would be bringing them next week, so i might still be in for success.

I blame you lot I've been lurking here reading all the carboot booty and looking at the cracker restoration projects you have been doing.

HA! Glad you don't live near me!

Any chance of the restoration episode soon?

Is that a No5 in the background...

Nice London Pattern screwdriver...I only managed a handle of the same shape this weekend...but I was with the missus with our own stall..tat from the loft made £150 so can't complain!

Not long now before they are over...have to find something else to do....
:oops:

Thanks for sharing!
8)

Jim

Where was this Car boot sale as I live just out side it? Its pretty rare to even see a stanley plane to the one's i've been (been to the one at Lymington). I am just down the road to the one at Matchhams but thats really a Ghost-boot these days (also near to the one at Ashley Heath but my mum doesn't go there as she's scared someone might recognise her even though they would be there to

I think I've found a good place to buy old tenon saws on the other hand. my bro's got an allotment in oxford and there's some kind of scrapyard where he got some old gardening tools but he said he saw some non-rusty brass backed tenon saws there.

ro wrote:
I was very restrained and only had to make one trip back to the car to store my stash before buying more

When we go the the one at Long Marston, I always take a sack truck.
The one time I forgot it, I bought a leg vise ... from the far end of the second field ... so I also got a dented shoulder for free.

That looks like a basic workshop you've found there. Yup, I second Jimi; restoration pics please.

Richard T":lux3818o said:
ro wrote:
I was very restrained and only had to make one trip back to the car to store my stash before buying more

When we go the the one at Long Marston, I always take a sack truck.
The one time I forgot it, I bought a leg vise ... from the far end of the second field ... so I also got a dented shoulder for free.

That looks like a basic workshop you've found there. Yup, I second Jimi; restoration pics please.

Murphy's Law of bootfairs...the distance of the stall from the car is inversely proportional to the weight of the item x the need to have it. :D

My worst was the Inca 259. First I wanted it desperately, secondly it was nearly in the next county but fortunately the seller had a spanner and I had the missus! :mrgreen:

Jim

jimi43":bzgqezsx said:
Murphy's Law of bootfairs...the distance of the stall from the car is inversely proportional to the weight of the item x the need to have it. :D

Jim
Too bloody right mate. You forgot the weather element though.
Worst for me was a Merry Tiller Titan. Absolutely caked in mud, at least a mile downhill from the car and in the worst rain I've seen for a while. The seller let me have it (cheap), as long as I didn't ask for help moving or getting it into the car. Dragged it across to the car, found a pair of adjustables and set about stripping it to get it in the car. Half an hour later, with almost all the surrounding cars having DRY faces peering out at me, I finally managed to lift it into the car.
Then the rain stopped!

Adam

You did it ALL wrong Adam....

You should have started it up and when you got to the exit ask the farmer for your money back for ploughing his field!!

0.jpg

:wink: 8)

Jim

It was bizarre, I went there looking for food turning tools and the very first stall I came to had a skew chisel, spindle gouge and parting tool (all nice, Wolf branded ones too) and had the number 6, 4 1/2 and the two back saws!

jimi43":2eih0nt8 said:
Any chance of the restoration episode soon?

Is that a No5 in the background...
I'm hopefully going to start restoring net weekend (I still haven't finished restoring the tools from the last boot sale!) - so I'll take pictures as I go along!

Yes, that's a Record No 5 in the bg. I got it for 3 quid at a steam rally - it was rusty as hell and had a broken handle but is now my favourite plane, especially on the shooting board.

LuptonM":2eih0nt8 said:
Where was this Car boot sale as I live just out side it? Its pretty rare to even see a stanley plane to the one's i've been (been to the one at Lymington).
It's the one just outside Lymington (on the road to Brockenhurst). There's quite a few tools there most weeks (although I'm not sure I should be broadcasting this :twisted:)

Now I've just got to find some room to put them!

ro":qe29nqln said:
It was bizarre, I went there looking for food turning tools and the very first stall I came to had a skew chisel, spindle gouge and parting tool (all nice, Wolf branded ones too) and had the number 6, 4 1/2 and the two back saws!

ahh that is murphy's law #2: If you are looking for something it's not there, but the things you want but aren't looking for are..

It could be the one I've gone to. I don't drive so I might be wrong. When I say 'in Lymington' I mean near Lymington. Its on a field, it has some toilets somewhere and is fenced round one side where the ppl collect the money (infact they do it at 2 different places) . It has 2 entrances. Ones just of the road and there's one right at the top which looks weird as it has a barn thing there. There's always this nursery (holly nursery or summit) on the other side (on the right and closer to the main entrance). Not to forget the lawn mower retard man nearer the alternative entrance

It looks like it could be the Boldre one here http://www.lymington.org/bootsales.html

I never found anything decent there when I walked round. Maybe u nicked it all

LuptonM":2wv320cx said:
It could be the one I've gone to. I don't drive so I might be wrong. When I say 'in Lymington' I mean near Lymington. Its on a field, it has some toilets somewhere and is fenced round one side where the ppl collect the money (infact they do it at 2 different places) . It has 2 entrances. Ones just of the road and there's one right at the top which looks weird as it has a barn thing there. There's always this nursery (holly nursery or summit) on the other side (on the right and closer to the main entrance). Not to forget the lawn mower retard man nearer the alternative entrance

It looks like it could be the Boldre one here http://www.lymington.org/bootsales.html

I never found anything decent there when I walked round. Maybe u nicked it all
That's the puppy!

Some weeks there's nothing there, but normally there's some decent tools - you've got to get there early though - all the good stuff goes pretty damn quickly.

Some weeks there's nothing there, but normally there's some decent tools - you've got to get there early though - all the good stuff goes pretty damn quickly.

That is rule #1

Anyone that says that they don't find anything at bootfairs ain't getting up in time!

There is not one bootfair I can remember where I have walked away with nothing...however small.

You have to watch the missus running a stall though...I bought a huge 12VDC transformer for running my LV lamps this weekend...a real bargain for a quid...took it back and went off again and when I got back she had sold it for a fiver! 8)

Good girl!

Jim

I got there about 8.30-9am (opens at 7am)- maybe a bit late but I can't expect my parents to get up that early- I don't own a car see

The only thing I got there was a no 4 1/2 stanley smoother for £9 (from a dealer I think) - been there about 5 times

U really have to watch them evil bargain spoiling dealers

LuptonM":25kodian said:
I got there about 8.30-9am

Yep, by that time I'll have bought all the good tools :twisted:!

Have you tried promising the parents a bacon sarnie and cuppa from the van if they get there early?

LuptonM":2bv8ixe7 said:
I got there about 8.30-9am (opens at 7am)- maybe a bit late but I can't expect my parents to get up that early- I don't own a car see

To get them up, just gently remind them that it is you who chooses which home they go to.

Back