Car boot haul - restoration begins

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadboog

Established Member
Reaction score
Great haul for £16!

Tools2.jpg

Left to right:
2 x spirit levels
wooden handled clamp
square file
chisel
bradawl
screwdriver

saw set
10" 11tpi dovetail saw - reads 'Ward Sheffield' on the handle
20" 9tpi hand (?) saw - Spear and Jackson 'Spearior' - what is the dowel coming out of the top of the handle ?
24" 7tpi crosscut (?) saw - nothing on it.
24" 6tpi rip (?) saw - Spear and Jackson

Any help / more info on the saws ? Suggestions on restoration also appreciated.

Attachments

• Tools2.jpg
    Tools2.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 1,671
The screwdriver looks like a gunsmith's turn key (Screwdriver), while Spearior "88"'s are excellent professional quality saws. The rod and dowel through the handle is a sound type of reinforcement and - regardless of what some may think - is a solid means of ensuring a saw handle remains undamaged throughout the saw's working life. Especially if used for construction site work.

Your Ward tenon saw looks like it could be a good user once cleaned up. :)

Hi, jadboog

That middle handsaw is the best, S&J I think I have a incremental rip saw with just the same handle.
They all should be good users, the dowel should tap back in the the handle.

Nice haul.

Pete

After just over a year I finally got round to restoring some of the tools above.

rps20140411_212519.jpg

I thoroughly sanded the gunsmiths turnkey, hammered it back into shape and tidied up the head with a file. I gave the handle a coat of Liberon medium Oak dye before a few coats of varnish.

The saw is the Spearior. I sanded the handle gently but couldn't save the 'Spearior' lettering. A few coats of Ronseal quick drying walnut varnish finished it off nicely. I polished the brass with sandpaper and lapping film offcuts and was pleasantly surprised how well the medallion came up. I hammered a few kinks out of the blade after cleaning it up then flattened, sharpened and set the teeth. Really pleased with this first attempt - the saw cuts well, looking forward to restoring more!

Attachments

• rps20140411_212519.jpg
    rps20140411_212519.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,104
Well done for getting the kinks out of the blade - speaking from experience, that's not easy to do neatly!

Two tools there that should now give many years of good service - splendid stuff!

Latest posts

Back