Car boot finds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Hayman

Established Member
Reaction score
Think i did quite well out of a local car boot (Bradford airport).

A box of some 20 moulding planes of varying sorts and conditions. Looks like they have experience a house fire at some point as many of the wedges were scorched but are easily replaceable.

They were in fairly grotty condition too with a lot of the irons being rusted in place.

I set to with spirits and fine wire wool and ended up with a fair selection of planes.

I think i may have over paid though, that £10 hurt my wallet :twisted:

That's a reeded blade in the coffin too, handy little thing. Very happy :-D

Attachments

• DSCI1598.jpg
    DSCI1598.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,104
  • DSCI1593.jpg
    DSCI1593.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,104
  • DSCI1597.jpg
    DSCI1597.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,104
thats quite a nice haul, all i got was 2 small logs of english walnut (now sealed in a cupboard for a year or so). and 10 train pictures nicely framed, that where given away with Modern Boy magazine in 1931

adidat

Hi, Thomas

Thats a cracking scraper plane, is it Boxwood, looks to light for beech.

Pete

Very nice!

I too find it satisfying to go from the before - dry, dusty, rusted - to the after - clean, nice to hold, sharp and ready. It's surprising at first how easy it is to go from something for the bonfire to something useful.

Scorched wedges can be an indication of a linseed oil rag being left on the plane after wiping it over and self combustion :shock:

Andy

I meant to say you can make a much tidier pile if you put the wedges facing inwards:

pl1868.view01.jpg

:wink:

Yes indeed...that is a beautiful boxwood toothing coffin..check the end of the iron...it will be serrated.

Excellent tool...for thicknessing wood...even thin pieces...the uniform thinkness...

Go across the grain at 45 degrees both ways...once down to depth you can smooth it all over.

Worth at least a tenner on its own!

I didn't get to go on Saturday...closed owing to weather but Sunday afternoon...the haul was not woody...

Just another radio...a beautiful 1970 Sony FM... oh...and a pair of Minox binoculars (for a quid!!!!) 8)

Expect it to be HOT HOT HOT this weekend so more then I hope!

Jim

Sorry about the terminology chaps, toothing plane it is then.

I've been wanting one for a while so now i can have a play :-D

I'm fairly sure it's beech but will put a pic up for those more in the know to take a look.

Latest posts

Back