Car boot 10/07/13

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
I got these two Stanley braces today for a tenner after being inspired watching Roy Underhill using a brace to such good effect. One is a number 73, the other 78 and both are 10 inch with ratchets. I didn't buy the fairly large hand-powered grinder for £8 which I am regretting a bit now. It didn't have a wheel on it and I wasn't sure I would have been able to get a wheel for it (thinking it would be an imperial spindle). I might go back next week and see if he's still got it.

755420a2e1a662051e80b04c3c318368.jpg

Those late model Stanley braces are really good. The chuck is designed to grip either old tapered square shank bits or round ones so you can use 'modern' bits if you want to.

Cheers Andy. The ratchets work on both (although one is a bit stiff) and take a 10mm bit with room to spare. I think I've got an old square shank augur bit somewhere, I'll try that later.

Since braces are so common, and so spurned by most, I've acquired " a few" over the years.

My most commonly used one is a 10" sweep non ratchet model by Record. Being a "plain brace" it's shorter, more rigid and lighter than a ratchet brace. Lovely.

BugBear

That's a good strategy BB - when you get enough you can eliminate all that pesky bit changing! ;-)

(I'm following the same plan myself. )

A good find.

Excellent tool for driving or removing screws (with appropriate bit), I used one for this purpose over many years, I suppose that most of us now use electric drivers, but I suspect that very few are capable of achieving the torque of one of these braces in the right hands. :wink:

Take care.

Chris R.

Latest posts

Back