Car body filler

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpt

Established Member
Reaction score
HI

To fill large cracks etc in a piece I usually use resin mixed with acrylic to give me the colour I want but for the piece I am working on this is not working due to the shape of it.

I need a paste for this piece, in the past I have used car body filler but the only ones I have seen dry either grey, pink or white and I need black.

So does anyone know of a filler that dries black or one I can add acrylic paint or some other colouring to please.

john

you can get pigments from a GRP retailer that will be suited to epoxy or grp based fillers - used to pigment gel coats to most colours (nowadays they really do use some extreme coloured gel coats on boats!). The car body fillers are only resin pre mixed with filler or stand.

I used to work for a GRP company, all of the stuff we made were determined by the pigments in the gel coats (which were also simple resins) so I guess its all about pigments/dyes. Resin is resin I suppose. (Admittadly I just trimmed the stuff with a diamond cutter and never actually made anything), many years ago though.

Black car body filler did exist. I saw it used by a demonstrator (can't remember who) at one of our turning club meetings about 18 months ago. I can't remember what make it was, but I do remember it came in a yellow tub and the demonstrator said he'd bought it in Halfords.

What your looking for is either Plastic Padding Chemical Metal, or Leak Fix, can't remember which is the black one. Once you find the right one it hardens to a dirty grey. Changes to black when a finish is applied.

Back