Capacitor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycktm

Established Member
Reaction score
I've a lurem RD 26 planer/thicknesser and today the capacitor became a roman candle :shock:
The thing is i don't know if its original, its rated at 40 uF does anyone know if this sounds correct?

Sounds about right, though you might have to settle for a 32uf instead.

Roy.

make sure you match the voltage rating aswell ,go higher voltage rating if need be but never lower !

Yep! Or you get a sound like frying Bacon followed by a very large bang!

Roy.

Try and find a local company that does motor rewinds as they carry stocks of this sort of thing.

OW

Steve Maskery":ucqhpl99 said:
9fingers is your man. If he doesn't show up, drop him a PM. Top Bloke.
S

Did someone call??

As others have said 40uF is a typical value but according to motor design and size they can vary between 4 and 400uF.

My supplier is showing 3 different ones all with mounting studs at one end and either tags or a moulded in cable.

All in the region of £12.

If you have any problems sourcing one then send me a pm.

Bob

I have extensive electrical experience.

If in doubt - always go with the value of capacitor you take out and Voltage rating should be higher if not the same. There are many types of capacitor used in the electronics industry. Some of them are polarized and must only be used in DC applications.

My guess is that you refer to a motor start capacitor and therefore it must be a non-polarized one for use on mains elec supplies.

All types of capacitor can be sourced from a firm called "RadioSpares"
They are mail order or deal over the counter. A Google search should find them for you.

Ask them over the phone for a catalogue and they will send you five or six volumes detailing just about everything available to the electronics world. Apart from finding your capacitor it makes very interesting reading and is a great source of good info.

Hope it works out for you.

John.

Thanks for all the help :D
I'm not to concerned about being able to find a correct replacement.
But when i bought the machine it was second hand
and the capacitor was hanging off due to a broken mount,but i noticed it was also heavily cracked(expansion).
So i was wondering if the damage was age/usage or had if it been replaced before with a wrong one!
My idea was to try and find the correct rating before i got one.(just in case)

Andy,

I think the only way to be sure is the take the details of the motor and approach either the manufacturer of the motor or of the machine.

However if you were getting adequate starting performance with 40uF then I'd be tempted to use a similar value with at least the same ac voltage rating or higher.

At one time it was possible to judge the capacitor value from the HP rating of the motor alone. However, now that much larger values of capacitor are economically viable, motor designers have options to trade off between the amount of copper in the starter winding and the capacitor value to minimise the cost of manufacture.

Bob

Jaybee24":mbts7rei said:
All types of capacitor can be sourced from a firm called "RadioSpares" They are mail order or deal over the counter

Sounds like you're as old as me! My dad used to sit me on their trade counter (in West London, I think) when I was four years old, back in the <cough>...

... But they haven't been Radiospares for decades. rswww-dot-com will get you there (replace the dot, obviously), but if you don't work with electronics it's a bit daunting. You might have more success with CPC, who are the 'retail' arm of Farnell electronics (RS' main competitor). Google them for a URL.

You need:

-- a 'stud-mounting', 'starter' or 'motor control' capacitor (probably unless the motor has a clip or the cap mounts inside the connector junction box),
-- the correct voltage rating for your setup (usually 240V), same-as or higher will do (but higher voltage will be physically bigger, probably),
-- the correct value - you mentioned 40uf ("microfarads").

Capacitors for electronics come in 'standard values' so that designers can can make up the exact values by combining them in series or parallel. This doesn't really apply here, but it does mean you might only see 47uf or 33uf (standard values), and not 40 (not commonly stocked). If you're lucky you might see 39uf. I'd probably risk a 47uf one as its slightly closer than 33.

Depending on the circuit, the stud (if fitted) provides deliberate earthing for the metal can of the capacitor which is to improve the screening and thus the interference the motor emits. Check the original, and match the new one as much as possible in this regard.

One final point, modern capacitors tend to be physically more compact than designs of say 20 years ago. It's a bit of a nuisance when revamping hi-fi, as things don't fit in the mountings (but it's better than being too big, I suppose). So if you do order one and what you get sent is significantly physically smaller, that isn't necessarily incorrect. As others have said, the voltage is important (to stop the new one emulating the old one!).

HTH.

Caveat: I'm not an electrical engineer either, but this stuff isn't too hard if you're careful (and you do need to be). There's loads of information on the net, including the very good motor tutorial on this site.

@ Eric The Viking.

Yes I asked for that. I know of course they have changed their name but for some stupid reason I still call them Radiospares. Its just like the Spanish - they have changed to the Euro now for years and years but if you try to do any business with them its always pesetas.

Sorry about that.

Best regards

John.

Jaybee24":35oy9c7a said:
@ Eric The Viking.

Yes I asked for that. I know of course they have changed their name but for some stupid reason I still call them Radiospares.

As do I! :D

Seeing as you're in Surrey, can you remember where their London trade counter was? As I said, I remember being taken there...

You mention Pesetas: RS used to do a completely separate export catalogue too. It looked the same as the usual one (huge), but the prices were all different. I never knew it existed until I was prepping some work in a 3rd world country and the UK shipping agent had a set. IIRC, they'd only send items abroad or to designated export agents in the UK.

Funny ole world.

Back