Can't go wrong with brown oak (table and bench)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomjenyon

Reaction score
Ok here is my latest project. Having got a few large planks from the Jan HJpugh auction I decided that the only thing fitting for such lovely pieces of wood was to make something big and impressive, and seeming as wife was threatening to buy a dining table from oak furniture land I thought a table to be in order.

The brown oak is in the front, (its yew in the background)
The planks were 96x22x21/2

planks.JPG

The plunge saw was tested with the thickness of the wood but managed it. I always find I have to clamp the rails down which can be a bit of a pain, despite them being sold as not needing any clamping

Trimming edge.jpg

I then faced an difficult decision, all the planks were cupped, I had planned to flatten them by hand but in my excitment of the auction had not really inspected the planks well and the cupping meant that a flat board would be less than 1 inch thick. I therefore decided to split each plank in two and rejoin them later after planning

cutting planks.jpg

The planks then had the other side cut straight on the table saw. One of the major difficulties of this project was the size and weight of each plank

planks.jpg

Legs were made from a few beams from an earlier auction, put through the trusty dewalt dw50. I managed to break it on one leg that was wedge shaped and got stuck and broke two of the cogs but fortunately spares were found despite the machine being older than me

legs.jpg

The planks were then arranged to create the best pattern giving an idea of how big and what the table will look like. I was chuffed to pieces when I found the two planks were book matched! The amount of effort it took to plane them cannot be conveyed, I do not have any rollers and worked alone, so had to carry the all the weight myself, did not need to go the gym for a while

top.JPG

Mortices for the legs were cut with my router, I have not done them this way before any you can see it is a high tech set up. As I did not have a spiral bit I found what made life so much easier was to cut roughly on drill press with a drill bit then tidy up with router and could do it with one pass

mortices.JPG

Stretchers cut out of a plank of AWO that definately had a bit of character (but was very cheap)

stretchers.JPG

Tenons were rounded with round over bit on router freehand then tidied up with a chisel, a surprisingly effective way

rounding tenons.JPG

Finished pics to follow. I just want to say thanks to all who share their work here, particularly Dodge and Mailee. Almost my entire (woodworking) knowledge base is from this forum. If any moderators read this I would love to have a 'like' button to click on each thread, I know its nice to leave comments, but I always feel a bit stupid interrupting the thread to say thats nice and not having anything else sensible to say

Tom

Attachments

• planks.JPG
    planks.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,572
  • Trimming edge.jpg
    Trimming edge.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,572
  • cutting planks.jpg
    cutting planks.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,572
  • planks.jpg
    planks.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,572
  • legs.jpg
    legs.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,572
  • top.JPG
    top.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,572
  • mortices.JPG
    mortices.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 1,572
  • stretchers.JPG
    stretchers.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,572
  • rounding tenons.JPG
    rounding tenons.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,572
So here is the finished product, Lots of danish oil applied to the top, the eagle eyed will see the legs are a work in progress

finished table.JPG

end.JPG

finished.JPG

side.JPG

Still pleased to find the planks were book matched

book matching.JPG

finished.JPG

To be honest with wood like this you can't go too wrong
swirl.JPG

top2.JPG

Attachments

• finished table.JPG
    finished table.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 1,552
  • end.JPG
    end.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,552
  • side.JPG
    side.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 1,552
  • top2.JPG
    top2.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,552
  • book matching.JPG
    book matching.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,552
  • swirl.JPG
    swirl.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 1,552
  • finished.JPG
    finished.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,552
Wow what a fantastic table top soo much character and a very wise decision to split the cupped board . =D>

Wow! That looks brilliant Tom.

What a transformation - from two rough looking planks to a thing of beauty that will last for ever.
I'm sure it will inspire more back garden woodworkers.

Btw, you said you "would love to have a 'like' button to click on each thread, I know its nice to leave comments, but I always feel a bit stupid interrupting the thread to say thats nice and not having anything else sensible to say" - the recently added little yellow thumbs up button
thankposts.gif
works as a quick way of saying thank you for a post, so it can be used to do that.

Thanks for comments, I have recently been introduced to the yellow thumbs up too, don't know how I have not seen it before.

Very nice table, I really like the brown oak.

Pete

What a beautiful table.

Also don't worry about butting in. I'm sure everyone likes the praise!

Sorry Morfa nothing wrong with your post but I actually meant to thank Tom for his table post.

I think I have now got the hang of the yellow thumb thumb thing.

As a complete amateur I am continually impressed by the quality of work on display. Beautiful table Tom.

I love brown oak and that top is outstanding!! Nice design and great to see you making so much progress on a pair of Workmates.

Tom

Great piece of work that you should be justly proud of. I'd be grateful if you could expand a little on your "lots of coats of danish oil". I'm working on a simliarly scaled burr elm dining table and am thinking about an oil finish ( see separate post in finishing!) and would welcome any suggestions you have on how to achieve such a great finish as you've managed on this table.

Once again - fantastic end product and great WIP .
=D> =D>
Cheers
John

Thanks for comments,
The auction is hjpugh of ledbury (website hjpugh.com) they happen 2-3 times a year a there are lots of old tools and a reasonable amount of very variable quality wood. You can sign up to be informed of future auctions on their website. There are definitely bargains to be had, and I have brought all my wood here for the past few years. I like to make a plan of what to build around what wood I currently have, so going along and seeing whats there is perfect for me. I do however get the impression most of the the wood is rejects from commercial workshops. Most boards have a few defects in them, and in my last purchase a number of the boards had 'reject' written on them. It does give you the oppotunity to buy different hardwoods that you might not otherwise be able to purchase. The large plank of yew you can see in the first picture has two holes in but went for £20 and I got the oak for stretchers out of a pile of about 4cft AWO that went for £30. The 3 planks of brown oak I brought (which two were used for this table) were all cupped and had a bit of rot along the edge of two and a small amount of woodworm, (these were £95 each). I would love to see what is made out of the stuff that isn't rejected. Boards can range from air dried for 25 years to completely green and it can be hard to tell unless you have a monitor (which I don't)
With regard to the finish, I used almost a litre of rustins danish oil (in total, not each time) after sanding to 320 grit with orbital sander then 400 by hand. I pored it on and spread it around with the edge of a coaster until all the table was covered, and looked wet. After 10-20 mins I wiped excess off with an old cloth - make sure you do this properly, I left a number of streaks that show for a few coats. I let this dry over night sanded lightly with 400grit and then repeated - probably about 6 times in total. I have heard that it is important to let each coat dry as otherwise it can become tacky so I left mine overnight each time.
Hope that helps, good luck with table
Tom

Back