Cant decide which lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRAIGB

Reaction score
Hi all new to this site.
Last time i did any wood turning was while at college. Im currently looking to buy a new lathe and the two I am looking at are
Both record power
the CL4 and the coronet herald. Which would you choose and for what reason

I'd recommend the Herald. Apart from anything else, I believe Record intend to discontinue the CL3 (the CL4 has already gone) imminently, and support will not last long afterwards. I have the current model of CL3 and while it isn't a bad lathe, the round bar design fundamentally lacks a certain level of stability, and I will definitely be upgrading to something a little more solid soon.

My only criticism of the Herald (without having used it) is that I don't understand why they haven't put a cam lock on the tailstock, which I can imagine would be an irritation in use.

I researched both of those and eventually decided on the Herald, only because I preferred the idea of the cast iron bed. I've never used a lathe with round bars.

Ended up getting something different as, at the time, everywhere was out of stock (Herald).

I too spent months agonising over which lathe when I wanted to move up from my used record Power DML-36-SH-MK2, it was a two bar bed which wasn't great for rigidity if any wood was out of balance. That only became apparent after a couple of years and I'd developed more skills and trying bigger stuff and bowls in particular.

I set out first what was it I liked to turn, what I'd learned I did and didn't like about the DML-36-SH-MK2 and set them down?
So it was bowls, rotating headstock (as the DML), variable speed (DML had only 4 speeds and a faf to change constantly), cast iron bed and a midi size (DML could take 38" between centres and I never made anything over 15", so it ate up space)
Then went from there.

I finally chose the Coronet Herald, with bench feet not the legs, the banjo extension/outrigger for bowl turning and the extra emergency stop button.

I've had it about 8 months now, and its done everything I've thrown at it very well, from turning rings and pens right up to a 19" diameter x 2 1/2" oak bowls.
What do I like about? Everything.
Have I had any problems? Nope
Does it have any niggles? Yes, one that bugged me was realigning headstock after swivelling it, its index stop is a bit off by a tiny amount, probably due to tolerances. But I bought a double ended 2MT alignment bar, it takes seconds now to perfectly align it each time, so no longer a problem.

Would I recommend it, 100% yes,

ls it right lathe for you, depends purely on what you intend to make, now and in the future.
Only you can decide that, but as a piece of kit I think its excellent.

My only criticism of the Herald (without having used it) is that I don't understand why they haven't put a cam lock on the tailstock, which I can imagine would be an irritation in use.
I thought about that when I got mine! But in reality its actually very easy to use as you push up tailstock, your finger is naturally on the locking lever and an easy pull with that finger locks it solid in about a 1/4 turn.
I actually find it better than the cam lock i had on my record power DML-36-SH-MK2

Last edited:
I think the Herald - I know its difficult at the moment but if you can find a retailer with both in stock so you can see them both in the flesh (soastospeak) that will probably make your mind up for you.

I have a Herald - had it for 18 months or so. Generally pleased with it and have legs, bed extension and bowl turning banjo extension, so reasonably invested in it. The only thing I'm not keen on are the controls. I don't understand why the red/green start/stop buttons (the ones you use most) slow down the lathe with the drive engaged, meaning you can't stop the rotation with the handwheel. If you press the orange rocker switch, that disengages the drive, but also switches off the display ...
Seems odd to me.

I had an axminster 305 recently after a break of many years, just bought a Coronet Herald, WOW so much better, really sturdy and much more powerful, I can get big diameter logs so needed a swivel head. Picture is a 14 inch Mulberry bowl.

Attachments

• 16158060626191602780534462798283.jpg
    16158060626191602780534462798283.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 6
I wouldn't buy a lathe without a double ended spindle in the headstock. It'd be only half a lathe.
If nothing else it'd be worth having with a sanding disc on it for tool sharpening

Father Christmas bought me a Cornet Herald, so after two months use I'm very pleased with it. Very smooth and quite. I had a CL4 previously sold it as I wanted some more oom in my small workshop.
One small gripe is it is quite difficult to remove the headstock. You have to remove a locking screw underneath that isn't easy to get too.
Highly recommend the Herald.
They are in short supply at the moment and difficult to find. However I do beleive that Bedford Saw currently has one in stock

Back