Candlestick for critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
This months candlestick entry for critique, good or bad, not my usual turning, original bowl before being re-shaped for the base.
009.JPG

035.JPG

040.JPG

045.JPG

048.JPG

Regards Chris.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 782
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 782
  • 040.JPG
    040.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 782
  • 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 782
  • 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 782
It looks well made and of quality to me.

Its not really my taste in design but still I do think it looks good. I love the tenon made into a feature. I can certainly see war of the world in the design.

Thanks Hudson,
I'm more of a faceplate turner so thought I would try something different to catch the judges eye! :wink: :cry: lol
Regards Chris.

Chas,
The first picture is a bowl that I went through the base of, this was then cut and sanded to shape to make the base of the candlestick.
Regards Chris.

Hi Chris,

I like your design and its originality.The tool control and quality of finish also looks good to me.
If I was being picky, I would say that the base elements are a touch heavy compared to the stem. To my eyes, the saucer shape which sits on the three legged base might have been a little smaller.
Having said all that, yours was one of the half dozen on my personal shortlist which I thought stood out from the rest of the entries, so in my opinion, an excellent job!

Ian

Yup,

I liked this one too. The only reservation was the cone sitting through the bottom which didn't quite sit right with me. Apart from that I thought the 'different' approach very refreshing.

This one was very well finished with lovely wood, nice clean lines and it did stand out.

Although I appreciate the theme you were aiming for I think you have two items there, a candlestick and a small dish and I think they would each look better in their own right.

But that's just a matter of taste and technically I couldn't fault it if I wanted to. =D>

Thanks for your comments,
This was one of the first candlesticks I've tried, the dish was added as I heard many comments from others about having a drip tray and this was my interpretation, The original design was going to be balls of decending sizes from the base to the holding section and the same through the base, a last minute change of design I thought I would keep it simple and just taper it, like others it looks better in the flesh rather than my pic's :D
Chris.

Back