Can you see £2800 in this box ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it will sell. The starting price is too high for a collection of tools which although nice are not rare. The extra sentiment of it coming as an intact collection is not worth that much.

In contrast, I recently noticed these planes- all C18th, rare and in beautiful museum condition - worth comparison with the Seaton chest - went for only £259 inc carriage - which is only about £11.78 each -

$(KGrHqN,!icE-onHq5oeBPuSknCFbg~~60_12.JPG

I can't find them now, but someone had several really nice pine outside/mahogany inside toolboxes which failed to get any bids at all - they were about £200 to start IIRC, and may even have been on buy-it-now.

Also, the seller has listed in the wrong place - anyone browsing through Collectables>Tools and Hardware> Tools > Carpentry /Woodworking won't see them.

the four metal planes and the chisels are the nicest things, i think 350 would be a good price but certainly not 3K

adidat

lincs1963":29q5d2hj said:
£280.00?? At a push!

Yeah - £200-£300.

Any value is in the box and the single owner. The tools are good working tools, but those are worth little actual cash.

BugBear

Hi, Chaps

480 people watching it at the moment.

Pete

Pete

That is how many people have looked at the listing, not how many have saved it in their watch list.

Unless of course you are the seller and are keeping it a secret form us !

Tom

OOPs :oops:

Well 480 people have had a good laugh then.

Pete

It's really a very nice chest...right up my street...but something I would probably look out for at a bootfair...I'd want change out of a fiver! 8)

Seriously...I love the flame mahogany...clearly well made..well loved and nice for a collector....

I did notice a large bullnose infill in there though that looks like it came out of the same stable as my brass shoulder infill...and it helps me decide what things I missed when finishing the casting...nothing much by the look of it.

Which is nice

Jim

Horribly "restored". Why can't people just leave things alone? He's scrubbed away at it but everything he's done has reduced it's value. I bet all it needed was a good clear out and a wipe of linseed oil. Be interesting to see the honing bevels but I expect it's too late.
I wouldn't buy it for more than £20 and the first thing I'd do is remove that ghastly bit of sycamore.

Jacob":7wuv4t4d said:
Horribly "restored". Why can't people just leave things alone? He's scrubbed away at it but everything he's done has reduced it's value. I bet all it needed was a good clear out and a wipe of linseed oil. Be interesting to see the honing bevels but I expect it's too late.
I wouldn't buy it for more than £20 and the first thing I'd do is remove that ghastly bit of sycamore.

Ah..you are quite right...sycamore! DOH! :oops:

Why don't you email him and make him an offer Jacob...you never know, he may drop the price a bit...£20 is way over my budget! :wink:

Jim

jimi43":2i5t0hf0 said:
There ya go Jacob....chance to restore it properly! He just dropped it to £1900 starting bid! :mrgreen:

Jim
If he'd knock off another zero I'd be vaguely interested. You could sell the bits individually, after painting the box.

It has similarities with Chris Schwartz's Tool-Chest plan.
I'd like to make one, but I just wouldn't have the space to keep it; not even on castors.

I have enough spare tools to equip one mind, so maybe I should get dovetailing. In 100 years time it might be worth the equivalent of today's £400 tops.

:D

Back