Can I accelerate the oxidisation of iroko?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting question. I've never tried it on Iroko but I've had good success with Potassium Permanganate Crystals, mix it with about 20 parts or more of water and very sparingly apply it, this will artificially oxidize the timber (works well on Oak) but I'm not sure about Iroko, may need to be mixed with Meths or IPA instead to work on the oily surface.

Yes, the traditional restorer's method for ageing timber is accelerated oxidation with dilute Nitric Acid. On some timbers, such as Yew or Fruitwoods, the effect is spectacular, a deep resonant colour change that's just a couple of steps from a glorious patination. I've never done it on Iroko but I seem to recall once using Teak and the results were perfectly acceptable but not amazing.

Last edited:
I have some nitric acid in my workshop, I'll plane up an off-cut and do a test tomorrow. I've not seen potassium permanganate since receiving a Thomas Salter chemistry set for Chrimbo 50 years ago!

Thank you both.

Latest posts

Back