Rust prevention in tool storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Sk

Reaction score
In the 'Good Old Days' I remember my father using an oiled paper in tool drawers and cupboards to prevent the steel going rusty. Is this sort of thing still available and if so where from, or is there an alternative that can be used ?
TIA
Andy

A little bit more posh but I rate these

https://www.shieldtechnology.co.uk/toolguard-vci-10-i38.htm
Edit: I should add I have a wooden shed for a workshop so rust is a huge danger for all my stuff. I put one of them inside each toolbox which contains a power tool or hand tools. And use regular ish wipes of ACF-50 on things… and have a small 20w dehumidifier running 24/7.

All those bits together seem to do a marvellous job of keeping the rust away.

I dream of the day I have a proper insulated workshop which isn’t so prone to the humidity issues and rust risks

Last edited:
Search anti-rust, anti-corrosion papers. Packaging suppliers have it by the roll. You can also get all kinds of plastic sheets and bags that are similar.

Pete

And welcome to the forum.

Buy silica gel by the kilo, but ideally in 50 or 100g bags.
Store with your tools in airtight toolboxes and microwave every 3 months to regenerate the silica gel. 1min on full power followed by 20 mins on defrost. You should see the steam that comes out. Rinse and repeat.

In the long run it probably works out cheaper than vpi / vci paper which is a liitle costly in small quantities.

Latest posts

Back