Can 'calling number' on a mobile be spoofed ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never call back a missed call, unless you recognise the number. It can cost you dearly. If it is important, they can leave a message, text, or call back.

If someone asks to borrow your mobile and offers you money to make an emergency call. Same response. World has always been full of shysters, nothing has changed except maybe there's more of them and the tricks are a little more tech orientated now.

It's a shame but you have to walk a fine line between sharp and soft now.
Couple of years ago I was at Victoria station waiting to get a train. I was in The Iron Duke waiting so I didn't mind missing the odd train tbh, hot day and the Guinness was cold.
Saw this young lass by the ticket machines. Well spoken but not posh. But the vowels were there. She wasn't faking the accent. She's on the mobile in a very minor panic, there's no histrionics, no tears or wailing. I look on casually over my pint right.
She's on the phone to someone,'I'm at the station in London! I know! I Know! But I lost my ticket and I think I got pickpocketed on the tube, I don't have my purse and now I can't afford to get the train down to' (....darkest Kent Coast Location.... its a good few quid £30-£50 ) She looks no one in the eye. For a brief moment I think 'Go on lend her the money, take the chance. Poor lass.'
Then my old soul says wait a moment boy, here comes the bind.
And I do wait.
Sure enough, not long after, Average Well To Do Middle Age Couple step in, concerned. They see one of their own, a lost teenager (going on 22). They offer, She refuses then takes the money, they exchange details. She is profuse and genuine in her thanks and relief.
They separate and she moves off. Waving, thanking etc. She's good. Even I am not totally sure and I'm observing.

And I sit there because in those days I had no kids, it was middayish, sunny and I was enjoying the Guinness loosening up the muscles after work. (I start very early).
And there ya go. 20 minutes later. She is back. Same routine. Same turnaround, Same sort of time.
£30 - 50 every 3/4 of an hour give or take. Tax free. Not bad.
All you have to do is be a cold hearted snake absolved of any feeling to those you are ripping off. Scumbags. Watch your backs people.

These scams rely on phone anxiety, the phone rings and people think it might be an important call.
Unless you are a brain surgeon, hand on heart how many really important calls have you ever had in your lifetime?

VOIP phone systems - which most call centres use these days - allow you to "choose" what number you present to the PSTN (regular phone network - including the mobile networks).

Responsible (VOIP) operators will only allow you to present a number that you have provided proof that you own, or once they've had the proof - they'll set that as the presented number and what your systems presents is ignored.

Most VOIP providers in the UK won't allow you to present whatever number you want willy-nilly. Ofcom and industry bodies don't allow it.

Now a non-UK provider, I'd say all of bets are off and they may not care if their "customers" present numbers they don't own or make them up.

HIH

Dibs

Back