Camvac and 32mm hoses.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Having a swap round in my workshop at home, in regards to dust collection. I’ve recently got another 2 motor Camvac (after selling my last one a couple of years ago).

Probably a daft question but… is it ok to use the DX1500b accessory (100mm to 32mm hose step down) on the 2 motor Camvac? I’m just not sure if the dx1500b is sold for the 1 motor Record Power vacs and the video on the RP site says Camvacs can be reduced to 2-1/2” (63mm) which is a bit chunky for sanders, etc

Likely you will only be able to use one motor, even then it might suck the sander onto the Job.

I can't run both motors with a 100mm cyclone feeding into a steel drum with 5m of 63mm hose attached.to a 2m 100mm flex hose.
Tried it once an it would have collapsed steel drum had I not had the remote in my hand to turn it off in a couple seconds. I got a second or so warning as the 2m flex hose was sucked down to about 600mm almost instantly

I've now fitted a pressure relief valve at the drum just incase I do it again or there is a blockage.

I'd consider a seperate small shop vac or a cheap wet/dry vacuum. Leaving the camvac for serious chip collection on 100mm pipe minimum.

ive got an old titan wet/dry connected to a smaller cyclone ( for power tools, floor cleaning,etc) and a bag type chip collector (connected to 100mm Cyclone)

I was considering sending them to my ‘work’ workshop and using the Camvac to replace them in my home (back garden) workshop to save on space. i don’t do anywhere near as much thicknessing at home so it would for use on the lathe, a bit of planing and power tools/floor.
I’ll take your advice and keep the titan at home as there’s already a similar one at work.

Yes you can - smaller hose = faster airspeed = able to pick up heavier waste. Bigger hose = slower airspeed = able to pick up bulkier waste. Collapsing the drum is a factor of the max vacuum the unit can produce. - Remember max vacuum at zero flow, and max flow at zero vacuum.

I have a single motor Camvac with a 63mm inlet. I have used a 32mm hose connected to it without any issues.

You need a certain minimum airspeed to keep heavier dust and debris from settling out in a duct or hose. When you look at the recommended airspeeds and apply these to a 2 motor vac like a camvac, numatic or Axminster, it translates to a 50mm hose. 63 is decent. 100mm is actually much too big for them but it 100mm is a common size of dust port on machinery so it's convenient.

Two motor suction applied to a handheld (say 6" R.O.) sander is far too much regardless of the size hose you use.

I use a two motor camvac feeding a cyclone via a DX1500b with no problems at all. If you are worried you can just use one motor (though cover the inlet for the motor not being used. A Percol 100ml coffee jar lid fits a treat with only a minor bit of trimming).

Tried it once an it would have collapsed steel drum had I not had the remote in my hand to turn it off in a couple seconds. I got a second or so warning as the 2m flex hose was sucked down to about 600mm almost instantly

I've now fitted a pressure relief valve at the drum just incase I do it again or there is a blockage.
The only thing that happened was the flex hose shorted to it's shortest length, your drum would have been perfectly OK, now had you had a blockage then it wouldn't matter even if you had steel pipe your drum would have gone bang, pressure relief valve is a must.

The flex closed up faster than I could blink, the whole cyclone cam vac and drum got dislodged and came out the door of the cabinet I have it in, scarey.

The flex closed up faster than I could blink, the whole cyclone cam vac and drum got dislodged and came out the door of the cabinet I have it in, scarey.
Yep been there got that T-shirt, fast learning curve, all my gear is now bolted down and steel pipes, far too much umph for a sander on 2 motors, even with the Festool vacs you can turn them down so the sander can breath and they are only one motor

Back