Calloo Callay, O Frabjous Day!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sisyphus

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for your help last night.

I found a new blade (3 TPI skip ) in the garage this morning and put it on the bandsaw. I spent some time making sure it was running true and that the guides were not fouling the teeth. I set the tension to medium and sprayed some lubricant on it. I then fed in a log taking care to keep it straight.

Success! Perfect cuts and no need to resort to brute force to get the wood through. The words "bad workman" and "blame tools" went through my mind. I was amazed at the amount of sawdust generated and tried to keep everything clean. I sawed happily for half an hour before hitting a nail so that was that.

I then spoke to a very helpful gentleman at Dure Edge and have ordered a couple of 2 TPI hook blades which he reckons will do the job better than the current blade. I look forward to seeing them in action. He also suggested that I made up a lubricant from equal parts of chainsaw chain oil and paraffin. I tried this and it seems to be quite effective.

All in all, a good day. I even managed to make Management happy as I got her washing machine going again. Hopefully she will now appreciate that the additional chuck I mentioned to her is a necessity and not a luxury.

Thanks again.

Sisyphus":2i5i3htu said:
I found a new blade (3 TPI skip ) ...Success! Perfect cuts

Excellent - must be one of them vorpal blades I've heard about :)

Just curious, but where exactly are you applying the lubricant? Something I've been wondering about lately with regards to my own BS.

"Excellent - must be one of them vorpal blades I've heard about".

I don't recall it going "snicker snack" but it certainly cuts wood. How it would get on with a Jabberwock I know not.

The man from Dure Edge just told me to spray it on the blade every now and then and this is what I have been doing. It runs a lot more quietly and helps to prevent any build up of gunk on the blade. He also said that it would not leave marks on the wood. I don't know about this as I have been turning my wood on the lathe and removing the lubricant.

Sisyphus":9kpzv0tv said:
The man from Dure Edge just told me to spray it on the blade every now and then and this is what I have been doing. It runs a lot more quietly and helps to prevent any build up of gunk on the blade. He also said that it would not leave marks on the wood. I don't know about this as I have been turning my wood on the lathe and removing the lubricant.

Any idea what the effect of lubricant will be on the band wheels. Like most machines my bandsaw has rubber tyres and I would not want to rot them.

Bob

Now there's an interesting question. Newbie that I am, I just assumed that anyone telling me this would assume I knew that it would not damage the wheels. I can't believe he is in league with manufacturers of bandsaw wheels.

I did a bit of Googling and found this at http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/six_rules.asp

NEVER USE WATER as a lubricant on band saw blades. Water is NOT a lubricant and is the WRONG thing to use for many reasons.

For the woodworker using 1" and 1 1/4" bands, not only is water unacceptable as a lubricant, but it also rusts the bands causing deep pitting, and inappropriate chip swelling. This prematurely destroys the body of the band and its gullets. It also dry rots your tires or V-belts.

For proper lubrication mix HIGH ADHESION CHAIN SAW BAR OIL, with 50% kerosene or diesel fuel. Apply the solution with a spray bottle to BOTH sides of the band about once every four minutes, while the machine is running. When this lubrication is applied, the sound of cutting decreases over 50%. DO NOT APPLY AGAIN until the sound of cutting starts increasing. I guarantee you will be amazed! Longer life; No pitch buildup; No rusted or pitted bands! A great delivery system is the 12 volt windshield washer assembly out of an old car!

"Pam" spray-on vegetable shortening is a great lubrication for 3/4" WIDTH AND UNDER band saw blades on vertical saws. (EXAMPLE: Delta, Grizzly, Jet, etc.) Unplug the machine. Spray Pam vegetable shortening on a rag and wipe on both sides of the blade while turning the upper wheel by hand. You will hear a 50% sound reduction when cutting.

I suppose all that this says is that water will rot your tyres. It doesn't actually say that the mix will not rot them but I assume that this is implied and will carry on with it. If my tyres do rot, I'll let you know.

I think the article may be a bit misleading.

I think that the petroleum stuff may be intended for really big resaw type machines which (I remember someone nameless, but very easily guessed, saying) have plain iron/steel wheels because otherwise the rubber would prevent them developing enough tension. In which case, diesel etc would be no problem.

The difference between a 1 inch blade and 3/4 inch blade, on the other hand, will make no difference to what the lubricant, oily or not, will do to your rubber tyres, should you have them.

Sisyphus":2r5s15a0 said:
Now there's an interesting question... I did a bit of Googling and found this

An interesting answer, and much to think about. Personally, I have a general aversion to oily stuff around wood and sawdust (based on very limited experience - my bandsaw is the only machine I use with any regularity).

Is there a feeling among other bandsaw users that this kind of 'heavyweight' lubrication is worth the effort, as opposed to frequent application of an old candle to the blade?

Bit doubtful about lubrication. I've never used and come to think have never previously heard of it being used. Isn't it going to go everywhere and build up with sawdust etc?
I don't think it's necessary.

cheers
Jacob
PS On the other hand I might just try that wipe on method to see what happens!

Jake":2bp2lokc said:
I think that the petroleum stuff may be intended for really big resaw type machines which (I remember someone nameless, but very easily guessed, saying) have plain iron/steel wheels because otherwise the rubber would prevent them developing enough tension. In which case, diesel etc would be no problem.
That exactly right (about the tyres) The big breaking down and resaws often use either no lubricant at all or just a bit of water (the green wood generally has enough water of its' own). My understanding is that they resort to kerosene/paraffin or red diesel on "dry" logs only if the blade is sticking a bit.

Mr_Grimsdale":2bp2lokc said:
Bit doubtful about lubrication......
..... Isn't it going to go everywhere and build up with sawdust etc?
It sort of works because resaws tend to have big scrubbing brushes on the blades to keep the wheels and blade clean, but at the cost of adding an unusual aroma to the timber, possibly for several months afterwards. It was certainly employed by someone I used to know who had a WoodMizer horizontal bandmill - but he was making fencing and pallets so the smell of diesel (from the engine) was always masked by the tanalith the stuff would go into subsequently. So to the OP, is your brush (inside the lower casing) in good condition and in contact with the blade?

Jake":2bp2lokc said:
The difference between a 1 inch blade and 3/4 inch blade, on the other hand, will make no difference to what the lubricant, oily or not, will do to your rubber tyres, should you have them.
The main difference is that a 352 will only just tension a 3/4in blade but stands no chance at all on a 1in blade

Scrit

Vormulac":1q1kousc said:
Pete W":1q1kousc said:

Only if you roll a '20'.

Vormulac the Geek
(standing back to see who gets that one...)

Horribly off topic, but this made me laugh when I read it ten years ago. Made me laugh again about two minutes ago. :lol:

Scrit":peqjaipp said:
Jake":peqjaipp said:
really big resaw type machines ... plain iron/steel wheels
That exactly right (about the tyres)

Mr un-named expert ain't half expert, then!

Scrit":peqjaipp said:
Jake":peqjaipp said:
The main difference is that a 352 will only just tension a 3/4in blade but stands no chance at all on a 1in blade

Scrit

Yeah, no doubt, I was just saying that the dichotomy used in the article is a bit daft, in that it talks about the blade width rather than the real determinant which must be the type of tyre you have on your machine.

Pete W":1wespqoi said:
Vormulac":1wespqoi said:
Pete W":1wespqoi said:

Only if you roll a '20'.

Vormulac the Geek
(standing back to see who gets that one...)

Horribly off topic, but this made me laugh when I read it ten years ago. Made me laugh again about two minutes ago. :lol:

That's fantastic, Pete :)

And yes George, Dungeons and Dragons - back in the days when games were made of sheets of paper weaved together with imagination.

Vormulac the Nostalgic.

So to the OP, is your brush (inside the lower casing) in good condition and in contact with the blade?

I discovered two brushes. One goes against both sides of the blade and seems to be made of nylon. As far as I can see, it seems to be in good nick. The other is a wire brush running agains the wheel and again it seems to be OK. It has the look af an after fit about it as it is attached to a wooden block but it seems to keep the wheel reasonably clean.

Having read all the posts, I think I will just go with either the candle or the Pam. They are easier than mixing up a smelly mixture which is difficult to get rid of from your hands.

Can I say that I have found this forum extremely helpful. Not only has it solved my problem but it has also made me re-read Lewis Caroll and taken me to the worlds of Necroscope and Dungeons and Dragons. I'm still wondering about Scrit....

Sisyphus":3r8d3v3k said:
The other is a wire brush running agains the wheel and again it seems to be OK. It has the look af an after fit about it as it is attached to a wooden block but it seems to keep the wheel reasonably clean.
Sounds like the original to me - they always did look a biyt like an afterthought.....

Sisyphus":3r8d3v3k said:
I'm still wondering about Scrit....
Keep on guessing :wink:

Scrit

Back