CALLING ALL WOODTURNERS - SUPPORT THE MONTHLY CHALLENGE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henton49er

Established Member
Reaction score
We are getting a drop off in numbers entering the monthly Woodturning Challenge. Entries this year so far (January to August) have been:

13, 12, 14, 15, 10, 9, 6, 6 :cry: :cry: :cry:

The September Challenge is for a pair of anything you like to turn, so .....

no reason not to have a good number of entries.

henton49er":1lyx8idl said:
We are getting a drop off in numbers entering the monthly Woodturning Challenge. Entries this year so far (January to August) have been:

13, 12, 14, 15, 10, 9, 6, 6 :cry: :cry: :cry:

The September Challenge is for a pair of anything you like to turn, so .....

no reason not to have a good number of entries.

Except time LOL

Pete

Just to let you know I like doing them, but this month I will be on holiday so will have to miss this one.

I've had a bit of a 'mare recently regarding shed time, but will try to get back in the saddle again. I'm finding what progress I made at the beginning of the year is starting to slide through lack of practice.

I hope you turners out there that are not taking part in the Challenge are depriving those of us that for health reasons had to give up something we loved doing.
My only contact with turning now is through this forum and I look forward to the monthly challenge more now than when I could turn. So when you think to yourself aahhhhh I'll give it a miss this month, think of us auld crocks who can't do what you can anymore , and are waiting impatiently for the end of the month to view your entries and compare their selection with that of the judge , give your self a boot up your rear end and say of course I have time ,I will make time .

The man that made time ,made plenty of it ,learn how to use it and give a little pleasure to others

Thank You and God Bless .

Guilt trip has no chance of working with me. If I started going over all the things that have been keeping me away from the shed over the last few months, Africa would start holding concerts for me.

Having moaned myself about not enough entries, I'm also away on holiday at the end of the month so won't be able to enter, unless maybe I can send my entry to someone b4 I go and they can submit it for me on the day....?

I am in the middle of doing 200 tapestry bobbins, just done 30 mushrooms for a wedding and have a pair of goblets to make for someone by the 17th. Making duplicates of anything else at the moment is not really attractive I'm afraid :-(

Pete

Woodmonkey":222ljn72 said:
Having moaned myself about not enough entries, I'm also away on holiday at the end of the month so won't be able to enter, unless maybe I can send my entry to someone b4 I go and they can submit it for me on the day....?

I'm sure you could send it to nev or Chas (CHJ) and they would be kind enough to post it for you. As a last resort you could PM it to me, but I would have to find out how to post on your behalf with no guarantees of success!! However, I admire the spirit of doing it early - there must be others in the same boat who say they are away - but are they away for the whole month?? :?: :?:

I had a very busy August but certainly hope to find time to do the rest of the years challenges.

I tried 2 goblets for the August challenge, but, the first expolded on the lathe when I got overly cocky and cut the stem too thin, whilst the timber cracked on the second leaving me with a stubby goblet with a mishapen base lol. I am new to the craft and to has to be said im not very good. I find the monthly challenges very interesting and do want to submit entries and will attempt them, I just may not have anything to show for it at the end of the month other than several contributions to the firewood pile. :D

Workshop Bob":18wqv9go said:
I tried 2 goblets for the August challenge, but, the first expolded on the lathe when I got overly cocky and cut the stem too thin, whilst the timber cracked on the second leaving me with a stubby goblet with a mishapen base lol. I am new to the craft and to has to be said im not very good. I find the monthly challenges very interesting and do want to submit entries and will attempt them, I just may not have anything to show for it at the end of the month other than several contributions to the firewood pile. :D

To me even firewood piles have their interest points ,so don't let that stop you from putting up a few photos . Take your time and work out what you would like to make . Get two pieces of timber that are reasonably close in grain pattern ,make a drawing if you wish but remember you don't have to stick rigidly to your drawing for the first piece , but you have to be as close as possible to the first piece with the second piece .Wriggle room on the drawing none on the second piece .

The most important thing I found was that whatever you make for the competion post it . It doesn't matter what way it looks to you the judge is the person that counts . You are looking for perfection the Judge I presume will be taking into consideration Potential !!

.So post all entries and give him something to work with .

Of course I could be totally wrong about this , but if I don't post it I will never know . :lol: :lol:

Bodrighy":2u193ay7 said:
I am in the middle of doing 200 tapestry bobbins, just done 30 mushrooms for a wedding and have a pair of goblets to make for someone by the 17th. Making duplicates of anything else at the moment is not really attractive I'm afraid :-(

Pete

Simple answer - make the pair of goblets for the competition, then after you've photographed them supply them to the person who originally asked for them ...

All this talk about being busy and being on holidays makes me laugh a bit. Someone sick or ,im going on holiday at the end of the month. You can turn it anytime, and get the results posted by someone on the forum. I had Nev do that for me, a year or two ago, I believe. Or are you afraid of not winning, or being embarrassed by the outcome. I live in Canada and have found time to enter every month so far in the challenge. Some of my stuff was and at times still is, drek. The last couple of months I have had a couple of pretty good pieces entered,and because it is a judged event, I finished 6th out of 6 and 3rd out of 6. I must admit to being pineappled off both times , as I felt the baseball bat was misunderstood(I was trying to figure out a way to turn a cricket bat), and wine glass was said to have tear out on the inside(there is none).

However, that is how judged events go, just because you have, or think you have the best piece, or cow, or dog , in show, that does not mean the judge will think the same way. Enter your mongrel or enter your prize stud, but enter, and stop with the BS excuses. I , for one, dont want to hear them.

I know i have produced some dogs dinners that did not do so well because I had to remake them at the last minute, but I still entered them I am doing this for fun as well as some feed back about the pieces which quite often I can understand why it failed

Back