Calling all Makita 3612C Router Users

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

My new Makita 3612C Router arrived today :D. I just wanted to check a few things with members who also own one.
  • When the electric brake kicks in to stop the router bit, you can see a large spark inside the motor (through the grill). Is this normal?
  • Did anyone else get a template guide with their router, the small disc that fits into the base. Incase it makes any difference, I got the model that came with a case. I'll phone the supplier tomorrow to be sure.
Thanks All
Andy

The spark is normal, at least both of my routers(Makitas) spark and the ones I used in college.
I had to order the 30mm guide bush it didn't come with the router and I needed one for the worktop jig.

When the electric brake kicks in to stop the router bit, you can see a large spark inside the motor (through the grill). Is this normal?

Yup, i think so.

Did anyone else get a template guide with their router, the small disc that fits into the base. Incase it makes any difference, I got the model that came with a case. I'll phone the supplier tomorrow to be sure.

Nope, makita routers don't come supplied with template guides, even the one in the case. Bit tight of them. A 30mm template guide should cost about £8.50 ish +vat.

Hope you enjoy some happy routing. :D

Matt.

Thanks for the replies chaps. Matt, I agree, it is a bit tight of them not to supply the template.

As it seems the template must be bought as an extra, rather than it being missing from the kit, I can now sing the praises of the company who supplied the router. Bought online from Miles Tool & Machinery Centre. It has the cheapest price for a Makita 3612CX I could find, £210 including VAT and postage. This is when someone says "But look, at xyz you can get it for 50p" :shock:

Andy

Congrats on the new tool but when it comes to extras most if not all of the big names fall far behind the cheap tools :(
e.g I bought a planer from Aldi and it was £12.99 plus it come with a 3 year warranty ( yes 3 years :shock: ), I also compared it dewalt on spec and it was the same.
Up to 3mm cut, fence for rebating and a 900 watt motor. with Dewalt I would have to pay extra for the fence. Not to for get an extra belt too :) .
I have had it for about 8 months and I have just had to change the blades.

Colin C":36g1lzq3 said:
I also compared it dewalt on spec and it was the same.

Don't kid yourself. Even the watts aren't the same, never mind the other bits. It might be a good tool for the price, even a fantastic bargain, and there is a rule of diminishing returns, and there are brands that attract some colour, rather than quality, premium. But your Aldi is never the same quality as the dewalt, which isn't itself a high-end brand. By a long long long chalk.

I don't not say it was the same, just the spec but the company that makes it are happy to give a 3 year warranty for that price :shock:
Do Dewalt or most of the big names is the point I was trying to make :) , Bosch are one of the few that do. Its like with cars, all the asian cars gave people 3 years plus but the English car makers only gave you a year.
If they product is that mush better (which on hole they are ) then give a 3 year warranty and some extras, that not much to ask as with my £12.99 planer is what I got. £12.99 over 3 years is good value of anyones money and it does the job :)
I am a trades man myself ( Antique Restorer and maker ) so I know what I was buying but you see my point :)

I don't think the warranty says anything about quality - I think it says that they know that 99% will be bought by people who rarely use it, and as and when the things break, they are cheap enough for them to just replace it.

Jake, I think you are missing my point :? .
What I am saying is if the same product can have a 3 year warranty and be that cheap, why cant the big names do the same. Bosch do on all they tools,
I not saying for £12.99 you get the same product but it will do the same job and I know that for 3 years I am covered plus they give you some extras or if you have to buy them, the cost is fare.
I do have lots of good tools but also same like that planer ( best £12.99 I have spent in a while ) :)

I think the cheapest place I've seen the template guides available online is at www.toolshopdirect.co.uk

Incidentally, after I got the same router last year I bought my guide bushes from Screwfix for around £15 each - unaware of how much cheaper I could've had them elsewhere! :(

Latest posts

Back