Calculating Feather Edge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quicky

How much should you overlap 150mm Feather Edge?

Is it vertically boarded as in fencing or horizontally as in cladding, personally I would overlap approx 1" however, do not nail through both boards on the overlap especially at this time of the year as shrinkage will cause the boards to split and shake if fixed on both sides, just nail the overlap board trapping the board underneath will allow for some movement and hopefully prevent splitting

Yeah, I've always given boards a one inch overlap as well. It's the same if the boards are 5" or 6".

Right, what's the calculation for estimating the amount of feather edge to order?

Tommy Walsh would be ashamed of me :? :wink:

Give me your wall sizes, inc. your gables, Tom, and I'll do it for you. You'll have to tell me about your openings, too.

Mike

I'm on a computer that doesn't have SU loaded.......

How about putting some rough dimensions on your dwg, printing it, scanning and sending to me by email? That sounds really cutting edge, doesn't it!!!

Mike

PM me for my email address.........

Tom, if you have 150mm wide boards then each board will give a coverage of 125mm, which equates to 8 boards per metre. You should be able to work it out from there. :wink:

It's even easier with 5" boards as you get a 100mm covering (10 to a metre, etc.). I'd allow for a few extra as well. Not just in case you happen to cock something up :D but, some firms band the packs up so tight that it can damage the edges.

Are you getting it all delivered? If you're planning on picking up and selecting the boards yourself, I can tell you now that it'll drive the blokes in the yard mental - I know this because I've been there!! :roll: :D

Cheers Olly. It'll be delivered and I always order 'Cock-Up Wood' ;)

Back