Cable/pipe wall detector

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a detector that will work with concrete/brick walls (not just plasterboard stud walls). I picked up the Bosch Truvo but am not convinced by its live wire readings. Many false positives and often can not get consistent repeatable results. As many people have mentioned, you need to place your other hand on the wall to ground it, which does help, but not enough to where i trust it. Too many different readings for the same spot.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

I shall be watching this with great interest as I've yet to find one.

On a slight tangent, I wanted to find where the studs were in the wall that we had reboarded and plastered because, like a plonker I forgot to take a photo of the studs with spacing measurements before the plasterboard went on.

:idea: Use my detector for finding nails in wood etc. FAIL.....foil-backed plasterboard, innit.

After many failed attempts with the inexpensive detectors and stud finders, to include hitting a water pipe and a live cable, I bought the Bosch D-Tect 150. It is expensive, but it has not failed me in any concrete, brick, or plaster applications.

There is another model available, the Bosch D-Tect 150 SV, but it's an extra £156. My U.S. version D-Tect 150 has the same seven modes of operation as the European SV model, instead of the five modes identified for the non-SV mode. According to the Bosch website, the U.S. version is the same as the SV version.

fuzzy fuh
I would expect it to lay the cable bury the pipe and turn the utilities on at that price
could u not have hired one?

Interested to see if there's any updates on this, I'm having the same problem with the live wires.

Latest posts

Back