Cabinet scraper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alder

Established Member
Reaction score
I have looked in the archive and have not found an answer, that's not to say it isn't there.
Workshop Heaven have four cabinet scrapers listed of varying thicknesses from 1.0mm down to .25mm. What are the uses for the different thicknesses please?
Russell

I think the uses of all thicknesses are pretty much the same, though thinner ones can deflect more to scrape subtle curves, which can sometimes be a help.

The real difference is that thick ones heat up less slowly in use, but need far more thumb pressure to bend. Thin ones bend much more easily so are kinder to the thumbs, but heat up much quicker. The 'sweet spot' for most people seems to be at about 0.75mm/0.030", but tastes do vary a bit.

There are a couple of dodges that can help. One is to have three or four scrapers prepared, and swap them as they heat up to uncomfortable levels, allowing the hot one to cool off. Another is to bind the thumbs with sticking plasters or tape. Another is to keep card scrapers for smaller areas, and use a scraper plane or scraper holder of some sort for larger ones.

Give Matthew (Workshop Heaven) a call and he will explain. One of the many advantages of going to a proper supplier is that he knows and understands what he is selling and is always happy to give advice or point you in the right direction.

Good advice you've received there.

The other thing to watch out for is super hard scrapers. Unless you're pretty experienced it's difficult to prepare an extra hard scraper properly. Learn with traditional scrapers, they give you more feedback so you can acquire the necessary skills with far less fuss and expense.

custard":3tjxid5k said:
Good advice you've received there.

The other thing to watch out for is super hard scrapers. Unless you're pretty experienced it's difficult to prepare an extra hard scraper properly. Learn with traditional scrapers, they give you more feedback so you can acquire the necessary skills with far less fuss and expense.

Prepping a scraper is easy to do, but hard to learn. :-(

BugBear

I'd echo custard, traditional, rather than the new crop of hard scrapers are much more forgiving.

The burnisher WH sell is a great bit of kit.
http://www.workshopheaven.com/arno-carb ... isher.html

Obviously it's not the only way and certainly not the cheapest way but as a beginner I found I got good results turning an edge fairly quickly using it and for me at least it was worth the price if it helps. It got me started using the scrapers rather than struggling to turn an edge. No doubt someone will be along to say you don't need one and they'll be right but it does work well. Your choice of course.

I bought some small (3mm) broken carbide drills from Ebay and made some burnishers from them, they seem to work very well.
I think you can get more pressure with a smaller diameter rod, my two cherry one doesn't get a look in.

post865706.html?hilit=burnisher#p865706

Pete

An old-time cabinet maker recalled as an apprentice being castigated for buying a thin one "Wojja go and buy that for? It'll be red 'ot in five seconds!"
Personally however, I have a thinner one and find it's flexibility comes in handy. But yes, for anything but the lightest work, it does get 'red 'ot' rather quickly.

In these days of throw away hardpoint saws, the material to make both thick (crosscut) and thin (backsaw) cabinet scrapers in any shape you like is easily obtainable. I use a homemade concave one for finishing round components like chair legs - it cuts easily enough with a HSS or Cobalt steel hacksaw, if well clamped.

If you can find an engineering shop with a guillotine an old hard point saw will yield a lifetime's worth of scrapers

Edit: I wrote this at the same moment as Tony

There are a couple of dodges that can help. One is to have three or four scrapers prepared said:
Sound advice, and they will probably be of varying thickness's enabling you to choose the most flexible first and working back to the thickest/flattest last.
Some companies give out flat fridge magnets, they look like business cards, I've heard they can be a clean non sticky option of avoiding sticking plaster and tape, not tried it myself as yet, interested to know if it really works.

Regards,
Dave

Bm101":zhyz5utl said:
The burnisher WH sell is a great bit of kit.
http://www.workshopheaven.com/arno-carb ... isher.html

Obviously it's not the only way and certainly not the cheapest way but as a beginner I found I got good results turning an edge fairly quickly using it and for me at least it was worth the price if it helps. It got me started using the scrapers rather than struggling to turn an edge. No doubt someone will be along to say you don't need one and they'll be right but it does work well. Your choice of course.

Totally agree Chris. I have one of those and love it. £20 really isn't that expensive.
Paddy

lurker":10m31j1o said:
If you can find an engineering shop with a guillotine an old hard point saw will yield a lifetime's worth of scrapers

Edit: I wrote this at the same moment as Tony

Know what I'm trying next time I'm in our factory!

Back